Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Salutation, Prefix, and Outlook Searching

Tuned Listener

Salutation, Prefix, and Outlook Searching

Apologies up front for the complicated waffle that follows...Smiley Happy

If I input a contact record as: "Mr. John Smith" I can get my letters and envelopes to print correctly based on my salutation preferences (e.g. Dear John or Dear Mr. Smith).  All is well. 

However I find that when I go to search for the contact in Outlook using the Act! address book I am forced to enter Mr. John Smith to return the contact.  I can't just enter John Smith (or any other part of the name).  Even the Advanced search option fails to retrieve any records.  Now I could work with this if every contact had a prefix but they don't.  Is this working as intended or is there some way around this search issue?

I did try using a custom field to hold the prefix but then I run into problems with my envelope template (.env files).  I seem unable to reference the custom prefix field using VB Script (e.g. custom_name.text = Prefix & " " & FirstName2 & " " & LastName2).  I'm assuming that this is because while I called my custom field 'prefix' it's not actually called this in the database.  Running an Actdiag database "Fields List to CSV file" report yields what I assume is the database field name but this doesn't work either.  So I'm at a dead end.  Any help appreciated!