Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

[Sage Act Premium 2013] Incompatibility with Windows 7.

Copper Contributor

[Sage Act Premium 2013] Incompatibility with Windows 7.

[ Edited ]

Hello,

This weekend we performed the upgrade to Sage Act 2013.

We had tested the version on a stand-alone PC running Windows XP for a few weeks and did not encounter any problems.

After upgrading our 30 Windows 7 computers to Act 2013 we encountered a pretty huge problem:

We couldn't send e-mails anymore using the ACT! E-mail application. Basically on sending we would receive the error "Could not connect to server 'our.smtp.server'.".

After wasting a lot of time searching we came across the following KB article, which basically only describes the connection test to the smtp/pop servers failing. Figuring we had nothing to lose we gave it a try and that seemed to fix the problem.

"Sage ACT! Internet Mail Connection Test Fails on Windows® Vista®, Windows 7, or Windows® 8 Operatin...

Now, to be honest, I can't call this a fix. Disabling a Windows security feature because sage can't get off it's lazy rear and fix bugs (certainly if you know that the KB was made in 2008) is not what we'd consider best-practice in IT.

What are we paying 4500€ a year for to upgrade, if all we get is more bugs, and some pretty useless features.

- Act! E-mail itself is still riddled with bugs and crashes several times a day (and ocasionally corrupting the settings file for the user).

- The documents tab is hardly useable because if you use it a bit intensively you get the GDI-Object bug, crashing Act.

- Now the bug where we need to disable DEP just to be able to send mails....

When are these things (and more things we've mentioned on these forums) getting fixed?

Some of these have been around for at least 3 years or longer. That's more than enough time to fix them.

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: [Sage Act Premium 2013] Incompatibility with Windows 7.

I'm glad to read that you were able to resolve the issue with sending emails, even though it was not a solution you would prefer.  At this time we have not received any word as to a change in the behavior of the ACT! E-mail system.

For issues with the ACT! E-mail client, please be specific so we can look into them.  Including the action being attempted and error messages presented. 

For the Documents tab GDI issue, you may be able to resolve it by increasing the GDI limit.  For instructions on increasing the GDI limit, see the section "Attempting to Launch to Layout or Report Designer" of the following article: KB Article 25903

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

gmartin wrote:

For the Documents tab GDI issue, you may be able to resolve it by increasing the GDI limit.  For instructions on increasing the GDI limit, see the section "Attempting to Launch to Layout or Report Designer" of the following article: KB Article 25903

So basically what you're saying there is, instead of fixing the problem with Act, which has existed for years on end, you have to change windows settings.

Sorry but the GDI issue is a bug, basically the application is not releasing items from memory when it should. The fact alone that this issue has persisted through at least 3 versions (2011,2012,2013) tells me that Sage would rather earn some quick money by releasing a new version each year with hardly any changes, than spend money on fixing bugs.

The issue with the Act! Email client not sending mail is pretty much the same, the KB was made in 2008, it's 2013 now. You're not going to tell me Sage hasn't had enough time to fix it.

The entire internet says NOT to disable DEP, that the vender/developer should take responsibility and change their application so that it uses memory safely, what does Sage say?: Disable a windows security feature...

The issue with the Act! Email client crashing? How many of the WER (Windows Error Reporting) files would you like, I think I can provide you a few hundred ones, and that's just from one PC. We have 30 Act users, all experiencing the Act! Email crashes. We've experienced them since I can remember (2 years with the company, Act 2010,2011,2012 and 2013), my colleague who has worked here for a few years longer says he too remembers Act crashing from the start.

WER.png

How many of these would you like. I can scrounge up a few thousand from the PC's in our network, keeping in mind that the users received new PC's last year, so if we kept the ones on the old PC's the count would number in the ten thousands.

Every time we open Act! E-mail it's a gamble wether it will open, or crash. And if it crashes we can hope it doesn't take the entire settings file with it.

We've had Act! E-mail crash on attaching mails (automatically) after sending aswell. This used to happen when we used XP, this happened to the few users who had Vista for a while, and this happens to the users running Windows 7. So it isn't OS related.

Some users have taken up rituals which they believe decreases the amount of crashing. Like opening Act! E-mail before they do their first lookup and such.

I honestly can't believe this is the proper way of working, certainly not with a software package we pay this much for.

Bronze Elite Contributor

The ACT! Email client uses a third party toolkit that is now not available. 

In order for us to address problems in ACT! Email we need to rewrite significant portions of the mail client. The solution is not a simple one. 

Our research shows that more than 94% of our customers have Office or use Gmail. This makes development in this area appealing to only a small segment of our users. This is a difficult truth that we tend not to focus our time on high cost, low impact development. 

I understand to your perspective working with ACT! Email would have a high impact. But I hope our candid explanation of priorities helps you make decisions on what email client to use. Are you in our small minority that does not use Office?

Regarding the GDI handles this is something that we have been working on and will continue to. If you have details that show reproducible problems, please raise that to our support team so they can provide solutions to you and diagnosis information to our development team. 

I apologize for the frustration. Thank you for using ACT!