Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Sage Act Premium 2010 - Cannot restore database

Sage Act Premium 2010 - Cannot restore database

[ Edited ]

Hi - I posted on this issue earlier in the week but wanted to explain in a little more detail.

I have 2010 premium loaded on my desktop and laptop and regularly swap from one to the other using backup and restore. I have never had an issue with this and have never been asked for a database name or password when opening "restore as"

I had to have my operating system (vista home premium) reinstalled last week and that is where my problems started. I have managed to reinstall ACT Premium 2010 without issues and have my backup data on a USB stick. I can complete the "restore as" process but when I attempt to open the database I am being asked for a database name and password. I have looked at all the files on the USB stick and none of them are password protected and I know that I have never assigned a password.

I have been trawling the internet for a solution to my problem and some have pointed to SQL (which I'm scared to mess with) and trying variations of my name for the password - this does not work.

Any help would be hugely appreciated as I'm now losing the will to live!!!

Thanks in anticipation

Morgan

Re: Sage Act Premium 2010 - Cannot restore database

Forgot to mention........to make matters worse my laptop has had to go in for warranty work so I really am snookered!

Happy Days!

Morgan

Nickel Super Contributor

Have you tried using your name for the login name...the way your name would be on your my record in ACT!?

And then leave the password field blank.  Does the database open now?

Rita Kogstad
RKA Associates
Stamford, CT

Hello and thanks for the response. I have just tried many variations of my name and having no joy. Although I/m struggling to remember exactly how it appeared in ACT. Will keep trying!

Thanks again

Morgan

Had to get new hard drive. Before installing new drive, I saved files on external hard drive....and then copied those databse files and put them on desktop.  Ok so far. I re-installed ACT and then....no matter what I typed after clicking on Restore - it wouldn't restore the database file into the program.  Then I read that I needed to look for the PAD file.

So - click on File, Restore and when the page appears that asks if you want to restore files  (the 2nd option down), click that button and then OK.  When the next screen appears - go to the database file you want and type in the name of that file.  Look down the list for the PAD file....click on that and click ok....and follow the rest of the instructions.  The key is to click on the PAD file.  I hadn't been doing that. 

Sage wanted me to buy a support subscription - but I found this "secret" by googling "restore ACT by Sage database files".

Good luck!