Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Sage ACT! Premium 2011 - 0kb attachments in documents tab after server migration

Sage ACT! Premium 2011 - 0kb attachments in documents tab after server migration

Sage Version: ACT! Premium 2011, SP1 (no hotfixes applied)

I have a client who is running this software, and we recently migrated them to a new backend.  

Windows SBS2003 -> Windows SBS2011.

This is a remote database with approximately 20 users - and over 30GB of attached files.

All users connect to the remote database with a Sage ACT! 2011 premium SP1 client, from their desktops.

Now on to the problem:

After the migration, there are many files which are now inaccessible through the “documents” tab.

These files say they have a size of 0kb, and when clicked nothing happens.

After running the missing attachments tool from ActDIAG, it reported over 3000 broken links.

Upon further investigation, these files still exist on the server shares, but the filepath has been changed as the new server name is not the same as the old server name.  Therefore ACT! is unable to locate the files.

Any file which was added correctly using the “add” button on the documents tab is still accessible.  These files were correctly stored in the “Attachments” folder under the ACT! database folder.

However, it appears that any file which was drag-and-dropped into the documents tab, or was added as a shortcut is now inaccessible.

I have called support regarding this issue – their answer was that there was no fix.

What I would like to know is if there is an easy way to solve this.

I really don’t want to go through and find all 3000+ files in the directory structure, and copy them into the attachments folder – which from reading other forum posts seems to be one solution.

Can I change the filepath of these files from looking at \\<old server name>\<shared folder name>  to \\<new server name>\<shared folder name>?

The structure of the shared folders these files were linked from is the same, it is just the server name which has changed.

One thing I HAVE tried is to set a DNS entry into the server’s hosts file to point \\<old server name>\ to the IP address of the new server.  For whatever reason, this did not work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Sage ACT! Premium 2011 - 0kb attachments in documents tab after server migration

three Questions:

1. Before server migration did you backup  database including attachments?

2. Did You tried to restore the Backup on the Server tbut in another folder with different database name?

3. maybe manually copy the files LOG, ADF and supplemental files folder and try to open it on another computer? (Do not pass the PAD file ... when you try on another computer Open It with the ADF File, this makes a new PAD file ..

Well, I'm not the most experienced but are ideas.

(Remember it is important to make a backup before any process - One in the same server and copy the zip file in external memory)

Re: Sage ACT! Premium 2011 - 0kb attachments in documents tab after server migration

jotero,

Thanks for the response.

1 - Yes, we backup everything up before the transfer.

2 - Yes, we used the ACT! documentation to restore the database on the new server.  Same folder/directory structure, but a new server/server name.  New install of SQL server 2008.

3. I think you are misunderstanding my problem.  The links contained within the database files (.pad, .adf, etc.) are pointing to a network location which no longer exists.  Any document which was added to the "Attachments" folder in the act database file structure are working correctly - anything that was linked from a network location is now no longer accessible.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Attachments that are linked still have a shortcut file in the attachments folder... It might be possible to update the shortcuts via a script

The Aussies to the rescue!

Thanks for the good suggestion, i was unaware of the existence of those shortcut files.

I will look into it - again, thank you.

I will post back here if i am able/not able to resolve the issue.

Platinum Elite Contributor

To verify, find one of the lnk files, right-click | Properties, and manually change the Target and Comment ...

If that works, there are many options to mass update here:
http://search.conduit.com/Results.aspx?q=mass%20change%20shortcut%20paths&hl=en&SearchSource=15&Self...