Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

SYNC ERROR: Synchronization has failed. Value of '-8' is not valid for 'Maximum'.....

SYNC ERROR: Synchronization has failed. Value of '-8' is not valid for 'Maximum'.....

Hello all.  Seems I'm not the only one with some Sync issues, but, just as the others, mine appears to be unique in its error.  The info is as follows...

USING: Act! 2009 Premium (11.0) Version 11.0.0.367

ERROR MSG: "Synchronization has failed. Value of '-8' is not valid for 'Maximum'. 'Maximum' must be greater than or equal to 0. Parameter name: Maximum Contact your local administrator for assistance"

LAST SYNC: 01/13/2009 - Verified in Sync log that this did indeed go through with no errors.

I am syncing remotely through a VPN gateway.  The synchronization goes almosts all the wya through, but when it gets to the last part "Checkign for Errors" is when this occurs.

Please let me know should I need to provide any further information and thank you ahead of time!

Best Regards,

- E.B.

Nickel Contributor

Re: SYNC ERROR: Synchronization has failed. Value of '-8' is not valid for 'Maximum'.....

It'd be important to check synchronization without the VPN, that way we can rule it out, sometimes the extra security inherint in VPN's will render synchronization impossible.

Re: SYNC ERROR: Synchronization has failed. Value of '-8' is not valid for 'Maximum'.....

[ Edited ]

It'd be important to check synchronization without the VPN, that way we can rule it out, sometimes the extra security inherint in VPN's will render synchronization impossible.

Could this still be a viable issue even though I have been syncing via VPN in the past?  I have only synced with this PC and software on the same network as the server once, and that was for the intial set up.  Since then, all syncs have been performed via VPN (the server where the main databse is located is in a state other than the one where I live).  If you believe this is the issue, I will just have to make a trip there in the near future to see what it could be.

Thanks for the input!

Message Edited by ebstone on 01-20-2009 12:42 PM
 EDIT TO ADD:  My co-worker is syncing to the same server/database via VPN with no issues.
Message Edited by ebstone on 01-20-2009 01:39 PM

The error seems to be pointing to an issue with the remote database.  Since other remotes are able to sync through the VPN, we can somewhat exclude that as an issue.

Try running through all repairs/rebuilds/reindex on the remote from actdiag.

Database Rebuild and Repair Procedures

I'm getting the same error.  Also working through a VPN.  everbody is working fine.  We reacreated a Sync Set, and still the same problem.  I also reinstalled the software.  Please help

Synchronization has failed. Value of '-43189' is not valid for 'Maximum'. 'Maximum' must be greater than or equal to 0.

Parameter name: Maximum Contact your administrator for assistance.

I have done all the database maint/repairs to no avail.  Next step is I am going to back up the database and install on my old laptop that is running the same version of Act!  This old laptop has the same Act! version and an different database that syncs to the same main database with no problems.  If I import the database from my newer laptop to the older (currently working fine) laptop, then I will know it is a software/program/settings issue with Act! itself.  If it does not work, looks like it would be traceable to the newer database itself.  I will update once I have completed this and let you know.
Copper Super Contributor

Hello EB. I am sorry to hear you are having trouble.

I am working on a similar issue. Have you made any changes to your system since the 13th? System date or time?

Dave Worral
ACC@Customer-IT.com
ACT! Consultant & Premier Trainer

To my knowledge, no, I have not changed any setting whatsoever.  No one else has had access to it so I don't know of any way they could have been altered
Copper Super Contributor

The error above submitted by jschavonej was resolved by manual remove and manual install.

Likely cause: insufficient free space and or memory.

What is your current free space and memory on the machine with the error?

Dave Worral
ACC@Customer-IT.com
ACT! Consultant & Premier Trainer

I was syncing fine until I changed the time on my computer. I set it back 3 minutes and now I am getting the same erroe message. Any ideas anyone?