Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

SQL patch from Microsoft failed - do we need it with ACT 10?

SQL patch from Microsoft failed - do we need it with ACT 10?

Our network administrator reported that a critical update from Microsoft addressing SQL2005 failed to install. I am seeking some help and documentation to address whether we need this update and if so, how we can successfully do this.

the patch is covered in KB948109 :

size: 26.2 MB

A security issue has been identified in the SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2 that could allow an attacker to compromise your system and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

More information for this update can be found at http://support.Microsoft.com/kb/948109

The patch is delivered along with regular windows updates. We are all running ACT Version 10.0.2.191, Hotfix 1.

Thanks for any help or advice!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: SQL patch from Microsoft failed - do we need it with ACT 10?

I found it failed on multiple machines and operating systems (2003 Server, XP sp3 and Vista sp1) ... even the download and manual install failed.

What worked was Shutting down Windows, but selecting Install Updates and Shutdown instead of the normal Shutdown or Restart

Nickel Contributor

Funny to read this was such a common problem as I was exeriencing it on my laptop (XP SP3).

Unfortunately I did not have the same luck as Mike using the "Shudown/Install Updates" option.

Ken Quigley, BA, MCSE, ACC, APT
Toronto, Ontario
www.keystroke.ca

We had determined that we will disable this update until another ACT patch comes out.  Based on the comments from an ACT partner and their conversations with someone at ACT, the Sage folks will incorporate this into the next update.  We will wait and see....

Hello Mike,

I was also haveing the same difficulty with this update, but after doing what you suggested, it installed OK.

Thanks

Darrell