Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

SQL issue when restoring remote database

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

SQL issue when restoring remote database

Ok I'm ready to pull my hair out on this one.  I'm running ACT Premium v16.0.291.0 and trying to download a remote database to a laptop.  When I go to unpack and restore the database I get the error stating "Failed to restore remote database.  Failed to open a connection to the database."  If I try to access actdiag I get an error stating "Could not connect to the SQL server instance.  Click OK to continue anyway, Cancel to Close".  If I click "continue" it won't show my database list without another error.  So I then tried following KB 14579, but the first step is to locate MSSQL$ACT7 in services.msc and it's not there.  There is an instance called "SQL Server (ACT 7), but that seems to be started (I restarted it just in case with no change).

I have uninstalled and reinstalled ACT 3-4 times now, getting the same result.  There's clearly a SQL issue, but I am not able to determine what it is.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Amanda Hayden
‎06-05-2017 06:42 AM

Re: SQL issue when restoring remote database

Hi Amanda,

It sounds like SQL and Act are not correctly connecting or potentially damaged SQL instance, the MSSQL$ACT7 and SQL Server (Act7) would be the same just the screenshot in the article is from an older version of Windows.

When reinstalling Act it will attempt to connect to an already existing if possible and will not reinstall the SQL instance.

I would like to know if when accessing Actdiag, do you ever get to see the page which lists 'Server name/Server Edition' if you can could you provide the Server edition? as an example mine is: Microsoft SQL Server 2014 - Express Edition (64-bit) 

To resolve the issue i would first recommend trying to run this file ResetSQL.BAT if you can right click to Run as Admin, during the first option it will ask you to turn off the password policy if you type 'N'. Next it will ask you to reset the Password if you can type 'Y' for this questions. once this has been done could you attempt to create a new database (please do not restore the remote database till we know we can create a database). if you receive an error please could you provide it on this post. If it allows you to create a new database please try and restore your remote database again.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author Amanda Hayden
‎06-05-2017 06:42 AM

Hi Amanda,

It sounds like SQL and Act are not correctly connecting or potentially damaged SQL instance, the MSSQL$ACT7 and SQL Server (Act7) would be the same just the screenshot in the article is from an older version of Windows.

When reinstalling Act it will attempt to connect to an already existing if possible and will not reinstall the SQL instance.

I would like to know if when accessing Actdiag, do you ever get to see the page which lists 'Server name/Server Edition' if you can could you provide the Server edition? as an example mine is: Microsoft SQL Server 2014 - Express Edition (64-bit) 

To resolve the issue i would first recommend trying to run this file ResetSQL.BAT if you can right click to Run as Admin, during the first option it will ask you to turn off the password policy if you type 'N'. Next it will ask you to reset the Password if you can type 'Y' for this questions. once this has been done could you attempt to create a new database (please do not restore the remote database till we know we can create a database). if you receive an error please could you provide it on this post. If it allows you to create a new database please try and restore your remote database again.

This worked!!  THANK YOU!!  I could make it to the Server name/Server Edition screen in actdiag, but it did not give me any information.  It literally said "Server Name" and "SQL Server Edition".

Once I was able to download the ResetSQL.BAT file (had some internal internet issues) and updated some folder permissions, I was able to successfully create the test database and then restore the remote.

Thank you for updating the thread! 

Glad it worked Smiley Happy