Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

SQL Service won't start

Copper Contributor

SQL Service won't start

Hoping there's a SQL genius out there who can suggest a solution other than un/re-installing SQL, or at least confirm that an un/reinstall "should" work.

Client cannot start SQL service.  Event viewer shows error 9003 with the following description...

The log scan number (233:472:1) passed to log scan in database 'master' is not valid. This error may indicate data corruption or that the log file (.ldf) does not match the data file (.mdf). If this error occurred during replication, re-create the publication. Otherwise, restore from backup if the problem results in a failure during startup.

Viewer also shows information code 3417 with the following description...

Cannot recover the master database. SQL Server is unable to run. Restore master from a full backup, repair it, or rebuild it. For more information about how to rebuild the master database, see SQL Server Books Online.

Now if I am to believe these errors it appears that the SQL master database has been damaged and that my only recourse would be either to repair the master (which I don't have the tools or knowledge to do I'm ashamed to admit) or un/reinstall SQL.

Has anyone out there run into this issue and can you offer some sage (no pun intended) advise?

Scott Holmes

Re: SQL Service won't start

I just registered to submit this same issue.

I tried to do a repair of SQL 2008 R2 and I got the following error:

Wait on the Database Engine recovery handle failed. Check the SQL Server error log for potential causes

Copper Elite Contributor

Scott,

Which version of ACT! is this? And which version of SQL?

And are you running SQL server management studio?

Thanks,

Kurt Rosemann

Platinum Act! Consultants
Kurt@ActiveSales.net | www.ActiveSales.net | 877-569-8005
Copper Contributor

I'm assuming it's Express 2008 as the client is currently using ACT! 13.0  and the only tools that appear to be available are Configuration Manager and Server Installation Center.

I ended up uninstalling the SQL instance and reinstalling SQL 2008 Express R2 and adding the ACT7 instance as per the sage article.

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26994/

I was able to start the service and reconnect to and sync the remote DB

Copper Elite Contributor

Smiley Happy

In both situations: If Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile and  / ord 4 Server is installed, please uninstall this first, and then reinstall Act, and do this by right-click ' run as administrator'

Daniel Dendooven
Retired Act! Certified Consultant

Yeah, I did that too. 

I should have added that.  Thanks

Mike