Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

SQL Server support in ACT! 2010

Accepted Solution Solved
Platinum Elite Contributor
Accepted Solution

SQL Server support in ACT! 2010

I was wondering if there is a document about the different SQL versions and the effect on ACT! 2010 performance?

I have read these:

http://www.act.com/2010/system/actpremium/

http://www.microsoft.com/Sqlserver/2005/en/us/compare-features.aspx

http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/editions.aspx

I also assume that ST is no-longer an option and that users who want/need the extra scalability/performance need to obtain the CALs seperately?

But, I have the following questions:

• It seems that SQL Enterprise isn't listed as supported - does this mean it won't work?
  • Is there any benefit (or known issues) with getting the free SQL 2008 Express and using that?
  • Is there any benefit (or known issues) with getting the SQL 2008 x64 and using that?
  • Is there a correct procedure for moving the ACT! database from one engine to another?

Has there been any testing with figures that can be released on the scalability/performance when using different editions of SQL?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author GLComputing
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: SQL Server support in ACT! 2010

All Replies
Nickel Elite Contributor

Mike, all of the information was covered via Product Management webinars several months ago now.

I believe they are available for download, unfortunately I am not sure where on this site.

sorry

Matthew McFadden

PM Webinars? For the public or ACCs?

I didn't hear about the webinars (if public) and I'm not an ACC... considering how carefully I read these forums, it's surprising I didn't hear about them if they were public.

If you, or anyone else, can find these and let me have a link here or via PM, I'd really appreciate it!

I also assume that ST is no-longer an option and that users who want/need the extra scalability/performance need to obtain the CALs seperately?

In ACT! by Sage 2010, there is no longer an EX and ST version.  We no longer sell SQL Server 2005 Standard.  The customer will need their own SQL 2005 license.  If a customer purchases ACT! by Sage Corporate Edition 2010, they can purchase the media pack with includes SQL Server 2008 Standard.

• It seems that SQL Enterprise isn't listed as supported - does this mean it won't work?
    - If its not listed in the system requirements it means it was not QA tested.  I have been using ACT! and SQL Enterprise and haven't encountered any issues.
  • Is there any benefit (or known issues) with getting the free SQL 2008 Express and using that?
    - Currently no benefits or known issues.
  • Is there any benefit (or known issues) with getting the SQL 2008 x64 and using that?
    - Currently no benefits or known issues.
  • Is there a correct procedure for moving the ACT! database from one engine to another?
    - Create a backup of the datbase prior to upgrading.  Once the database is updated to SQL 2008, you can no longer open it in SQL 2005.
    How to Upgrade an Existing ACT! by Sage Premium 2010 ACT7 instance to Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008

Thanks David... to confirm:

• There is no performance or scaleability advantage to ACT! to go with SQL 2008 at the same edition
  • Likewise for the x64 versions of 2003/2008 over x32
  • And just the same advantages of Standard/Enterprise - being access to more RAM and processors

So, the only reason to use 2008 or x64 (2003 or 2008) is just to fit in with a sites infrastructue?

Will SQL Workgroup or Web be likely to work?

If the server is upgraded to 2008 or to x64 (2003 or 2008), does this effect LAN or Sync users sharing the data or do they need to be upgraded also - if so, you might add that to that KB article?

Correct, the only reason to upgrade to SQL 2008 is to fit in with a sites infrastructure.  I haven't tested SQL Workgroup or Web nor is it listed in the system requirements.  You may or may not encountered any issues.

In sync environments, everyone will need to be on the same version of SQL.

Nickel Elite Contributor

Standard tier ACT! will only work with the express edition of SQL.  This is enforced AFTER application of the license key for the product.

You cannot upgrade an existing ACT7 instance to a 64bit ACT7 instance.  You would need to uninstall the instance and manually create one using the 64bit edition of SQL 2008.

The current procedure for ACT! 2010 is to install DVD#1 which lays down SQL 2005 Express.  Then you upgrade that instance to SQL Express 2008 via DVD#2.  After this, you can do an edition upgrade to SQL Standard 2008.  This would be all 32bit.

thanks

Matthew McFadden

dlunceford wrote:

Correct, the only reason to upgrade to SQL 2008 is to fit in with a sites infrastructure.  I haven't tested SQL Workgroup or Web nor is it listed in the system requirements.  You may or may not encountered any issues.

In sync environments, everyone will need to be on the same version of SQL.

Same version of SQL, not same edition, right?

EG: x64 on the server, but x32 on remotes... or Standard on server and Express on remotes. They only have to be same year (2005 or 2008)?

Same year.
Solution
Accepted by topic author GLComputing
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Matthew and David, I have posted the way I understand it here:

http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2009/09/which-ms-sql-versions-should-you-use.html

Can you please have a read and let me know if you have any suggested improvements?