Search instead for 
Do you mean 

SQL Server problems

Accepted Solution Solved
RB3
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

SQL Server problems

Recently Upgraded to ACT 2012 - Like the program but having issues with SQL server not starting.  I have uninstalled the application and reinstalled twice and that seems to work for a few days.  But today I had to manually uninstall and then had to delete the set-up download because it would not access the files.  Anyone else having issues with the SQL on 2012?  Any fixes?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author RB3
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
RB3
Copper Contributor

Re: SQL Server problems

Thanks - seems to be the solution - I even uninstalled everything Office 2010 professionals and did clean installs on bith Act and Office.

View solution in original post

All Replies
JM
Nickel Contributor

Many of my past issues after a new release of ACT was upgrading ACT. Solution on Vista and Windows 7 with Office 2003/2007. I uninstalled ACT!, then removed all SQL's and many of the Microsoft .NET frameworks from Control Panel Add remove programs, I even went as far as downloading free version of jv16 Power Tool to clean registries.  Then installed ACT clean which also installs SQL and any of the Frameworks it needs.  If IE later notices your missing a .NET framework version I let it install it and had no problems with ACT.

JM

BTW BACKUP and do a restore of DB just to be 100% sure all is good before clean uninstall and install.

Bronze Contributor

Some good advice there JM I will store that feedback.

RB3 I have seen where the browser does not start after install or fails after a couple of days. What I found seems to work is a manual SQL install and make sure all is working then install ACT!. It seems to be most common on WIN7 machine with dot NET4 which I now generally remove first and then do not seem to have many issues.

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.
Solution
Accepted by topic author RB3
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
RB3
Copper Contributor

Thanks - seems to be the solution - I even uninstalled everything Office 2010 professionals and did clean installs on bith Act and Office.

Copper Contributor

Using 2012 I sql server periodically does not load. This is not a constant problem. Every third or fourth reboot, when Act tries to load, sql server is not running and must be turned on manually. Is there a solution to this problem?

Platinum Super Contributor

If this is a Windows 7 operating system, check the 'Startup Type' for the service.  If it is set to 'Automatic', change it to 'Automatic - Delayed'.  There may be a lot going on at boot up, setting it to delayed will allow other things to complete before it attempts to start. 

Also: ACT! 2012 Service Pack 1 includes a new feature to check the status of the SQL service when the database is opened.  If not started, ACT! will attempt to start the service.  Here is an article with instructions for downloading and applying SP1: KB Article 28507

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

thank you.