03-19-2012 09:38 PM
I am trying to install ACT! 2011 on a 32bit XP system. It had ACT! 2008. It appears that SQL did not install correctly. It will not open the database. Saying it cannot make a connection. First, I tried to uninstall the 2011 and re-install. Unfortunately, the same result. I found an article that described manually installing SQL 2008 R2, but that did not help. Probably because the ACT7 SQL server item was already there, so the SQL install tool did not go through the same steps as listed in the article. Appreciate help. Thanks.
03-21-2012 07:49 AM
The first question would be: Do you have any other applications using SQL on this computer?
If not, then the next steps would be:
- Uninstall ACT! 2011 (if installed)
- Uninstall all of the Microsoft SQL Server components (through Add/Remove Programs). Once uninstalled, browse to the C:\Program Files directory and rename the 'Microsoft SQL Server' folder (ex: 'Microsoft SQL Server Old').
- Reboot the computer, then install SQL manually (KB Article 26994).
- Should the manual installation of SQL fail, it will provide more information as to why/where the SQL install is failing.
- Once SQL has installed successfully, install ACT! 2011.
03-21-2012 08:19 AM
I was able to start the SQL Browser service, but upon closer review, there is no SQL Server ACT7 service. So, I am going to take your advice to see if it will un-install and install properly. Thanks for taking the time.