Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

SQL Server Agent... again

SQL Server Agent... again

OK, I know this has come up before, but I can't seem to find a conclusive answer. I had built a new server (VM) with Window Server 2008R2 and installed ACT! Premium for Web Version 19 a couple months ago, and upgraded to Version 19.2 not too long ago. Everything seems to be working fine, except my backups are failing because of a SqlServerWriter failure. I think I've found a solution to that problem, but in digging into that issue I discovered that SQL Server AGENT(ACT!7) is in a DISABLED state and cannot be started. When I installed ACT! V19, It was a straight forward, take all the defaults install. No special circumstances or modifications. I just ran the exe and clicked Install, next, next, next... finish. I have no idea if it (SQL Server Agent) was installed as disabled or if something has changed, perhaps with a Windows Update maybe? I've tried searching this forum for answers(which by the way is a joke. Searching this forum shouldn't return results from EVERY forum (i.e. Sage Act! 2007), I only want to search for information that's relevant to my version!). Anyway, I searched Google as well and find conflicting answers to whether it should or should not be disabled/started. I find nothing related to Version 19 specifically and this question. I would like a definitive answer. In Act! Premium (Web) Version 19.1.63.0, Update 2, should SQL Server Agent (ACT7) be disabled or not? If not, what is the correct setting? If it should be disabled, why is it there to begin with?

Administrator

Re: SQL Server Agent... again

Hi Bruce,

The SQL Server Agent is set up as part of the default SQL installation. It's a component that gets included in all SQL installs. As for it's use with Act!, it is not currently used in any capacity that I'm aware of. Having it disabled or stopped is normal.

You can read more about the SQL Server Agent here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189237(v=sql.105).aspx

Act! has it's own scheduled service for running maintenance tasks (Act! Scheduler service), and does not use the SQL Server Agent for this purpose.

Re: SQL Server Agent... again

Thanks for that succinct and definitive answer! 

Cheers

Bruce