Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

SQL Server (ACT7) doesn't start automatically

Astute Commentator

SQL Server (ACT7) doesn't start automatically

When I open Outlook, I get an error that the address book is not configured.I"ve removed the address book and reattached it but then the database doesn't open. The only solution I have worked around is to manually enable or 'start' the SQL Server (ACT7) on my laptop daily.

Once I start the SQL server ACT7, everything works fine. This only started 2 weeks ago. This also occurred with the main database, and then on my RDB . I don't know if its a coincidence, or how to fix this.

SQL Service Manager shows it's automatic-but i manually 'start' it.  I don't know enough to know what I'm doing or what I need to do.

Can anyone give me direction as to what to look at next to try to correct this? Thank you, Judy

Sage ACT! Premium 2011 Version 13.1.111.0, Hot Fix 6

Judy
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: SQL Server (ACT7) doesn't start automatically

I would guess that a Windows update has applied (or an anti-virus software update) and is causing the service to fail at boot up.  If this is a Windows 7 (or Vista) machine, try setting the properties on the service to Startup Type = Automatic Delayed.  This will make it wait until later in the boot up to attempt starting (hopefully less to conflict with). 

- Right click on the service > select Properties

- Change 'Startup Type' to 'Automatic Delayed'

- Click OK to save change

- Reboot to test

Greg Martin
Sage

greg - thanks for the tip.  I just found that this server wasn't starting after a couple of months of restarting my PC everyother day and hoping ACT would work.  I hope the delay start will help - I think my Avast free antivirus is the culprit.  My question is: should I also set the SQL Server Browser to the delayed start?  Second question is my "non-host" PC doesn't seem to have this problem with the SQL Server(ACT7) not starting and it also has Avast free antivirus.  My PC that has the Act db has a wireless connection to the network where the other is directly connected to the modem.  Would that make any difference?

Astute Commentator

Hi,

Changing to a delayed start did make a difference so far for my computer.  I had recently installed Avast free on my pc as well due to a redirect browers malware/virus issue! This problem with Outlook started after Avast was put on.  ( I also had to change Avast from within Outlook to inactive too.).  My SQL Browser is always started though.

Best, Judy

Judy

Thanks Judy,

I had that same redirect virus just last month - hateful thing.  I had to delect my IE9 update and reinstall to finally fix it.  I noticed less issues if I fully let Avast do it's scanning - I was giving it 10 minutes after logging in.  I'll did go into Avast and excluded any scans to ACT or Outlook.  It wasn't completing scans to Outlook anyway because it didn't have access to the file, I assume because of the ACT/ Outlook sync.

At least if I get the message I can go and restart the SQL Server (ACT7) in services.msc

Be Well....Carl

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

I know this is an old topic but I was having the same issue after Windows 10 and AVG Free did an update. I don't know which one was causing the SQL Server (ACT7) not to start automatically, my guess is the Win10 update like you mentioned, but I wanted to let you know that changing the start type to the delayed start that you suggested worked for me as well just in case someone is having issues with it now after the recent updates to Win10 and AVG. I am running Sage ACT! Pro 2011 Version 13.0.401.0, Hot Fix 2