Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

SQL Server 2019

Copper Contributor

SQL Server 2019

I’ve been trying to upgrade Act for 3 days from v21 to v22.  I didn’t realize my IT staff put SQL Server 2019 on the server while our remote database users only had 2014.  I’m trying to get all the remote users upgraded to SQL 2019, but running into extensive issues getting it installed.  Most of them get a failure at the Database Engine Services step toward the end of the SQL install.  I’ve tried uninstalling 2014 and the ACT7 instance along with it.  For some it seems we’ve successfully installed 2019, but when we go to install Act and download their remote database it’s not recognizing 2019 and says there’s still a mis-match.

At this point should we revert the server back to 2014?  I’m not very familiar with SQL and out of ideas at this point.

Please help!

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: SQL Server 2019

Hi Amanda,

v22 is working with SQL2014 and SQL2016, while there are ajustments made for  v23 so that should work with SQL2019 (but did not give it a try yet) 

unfortunaly the Act! Compatibility Matrix is not yet updated, 

so for V22 you would have to use SQL2014 or SQL2016

regards

Ingo

ACC since 1995
Developer of Addons for ACT

CrmAddon Factory
+1 208 56192-34
Silver Super Contributor

Is there a reason you are not updating to ACT V23? My understanding is that there were changes made to allow ACT to use SQL V19 in this release. If on subscription with ACT your licence should allow you to install and use ACT V23

Copper Contributor

Act! states these SQL issues are fixed in v23:
-GROW-2268 Installer does not detect existing ACT7 instance of SQL 2019
-GROW-2436 Prereq runs SQL scripts to update Demo DB ad infinitum
-GROW-2460 FR/DE NDBMSSQL files in v23 have missing metadata
-GROW-913 Cannot open a copy of a database when using SQL 2019
-AMA-567 SQL Template Bug

Microsoft states SQL Server 2019 requires:
-x64 processors (min 1.4 GHz) - not x86 processors
-Windows 10 TH1 1507 or greater, or Windows Server 2016 or greater
-Disk drives with standard native sector sizes of 512 bytes and 4 KB

Is anyone successfully running v23 with SQL Server 2019?

Thanks

John Marshall

<a href="https://ometv.vip/">ometv chat</a>
Copper Contributor

In my experience there have always been a decent number of bugs with a new release, and especially with v22's initial release.  I choose to wait at least 6 months to get those taken care of before adopting a new version.

Copper Contributor

Received a response from Technical Support in case it's helpful for anyone else:

That version of SQL is not listed as compatible with ACT! 
You would have to manually install SQL 2019 onto each machine ensuring it is the same version or newer than the server version 

We do not have documentation for installing the instance manually for 2019 but if you follow the 2016 instructions they should be similar 
You will not be able to revert to an earlier version of SQL once the database has been upgraded it can not be downgraded to an earlier SQL build 

https://help.act.com/hc/en-us/articles/360024260934-How-to-manually-create-the-Microsoft-SQL-Server-...

Unless you have a database backup prior to the database being moved to SQL2019 
If you have a full synced remote on an earlier build off SQL you could potentially use that as a new master copy
Move that to the server - share that out and cut new remotes from it 

Silver Super Contributor

Hi Amanda

I can confirm that the suggestion from Swiftpage will work as have used it myself but it is labour intensive as both ACT and SQL need to be fully removed from each machine prior to a new installation of ACT or you will get legacy issues.

Copper Contributor

SQL Server is a foundational component of Act!
Other programs like QuoteWerks, GoldMine, Maximizer, Dynamics 365 & Sage are compatible with SQL Server 2019.

Based on the SQL 2019 issue fixes in v23, it seems to be close to compatibility now.
v23 should receive an update to be current & compatible now - not wait another year.

John Marshall