Search instead for 
Do you mean 

SQL (Act7) Service stopping even if Act11 is running

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

SQL (Act7) Service stopping even if Act11 is running

Hi all,

we have installed some 30+ remote users with ACT11 Premium ST with their own RDBs on individual laptops.

(the installation was done on XP-SP2 with pure standard parameters and no changes in ActDiag settings etc).

On each machine we experience a strange behavior of the (Act7) instance on each day 3-4 times at least.

Either the service has stopped itself before ACT11 is opened and we receive the typical "could not connect"

error on login, or it even stops while Act11 is open which produces other strange errors. To my opinion it is

stopped with open Act after some time of inactivity, i.e. if the user has switched to other apps meanwhile.

Anyhow the only solution is to close Act, issue a NET START command for the service and

afterwards continue with re-opening Act.

We have now put a batch file on the desktop to avoid input typos and also to avoid users

jumping into services.msc console, but this is not an acceptable solution.

Has anybody seen this problem before?

Could it be a SQL timeout setting?

Any hint if the Act or SQL logging features can reveal the cause for this behavior?

Thanks for a quick help....

Martin Glueckmann
ACT since 1995 for 40+ user teams in
Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Benelux

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Martin
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: SQL (Act7) Service stopping even if Act11 is running

Thanks for all your contributions !

Meanwhile I have found the reason (silly me that I have not considered that myself before)...

By inspecting the Event Viewer logs we found the service was stopped actually straight all four hours

while the PC was running, i.e. 9:16h  13:16h  17:16h and the only coincidence to that timing was:

Our automatically Altiris Software Update process !!!

It has found out by an inventory job that there is a SW SQL Server 2005 on the new machine and

started pulling the latest SQL2005-KB954606-blabla Microsoft update onto the machine.

As this is behaving as badly as its sibling KB..109 update it was aborting always midway through,

but it was running far enough to stop the (ACT7) instance first and -due to abort- did not restart it.

It was started with a /silent parameter so it never showed up any error message too.  

I was not aware that Altiris was installing anything but OS and Office updates, know I found out. Grrrmph...

We will have to contact our global "patching team" to first get an exception for all ACT installations now.

So, one out of three severe bugs hindering the ACT to become a success is exterminated

Let's tackle the next construction site...

Martin Glueckmann

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Elite Contributor

I'd have a look for any errors or messages in the Windows Event Logs when this happens... something might be stopping it

If it's a timeout error, have a look in the ACTDIAG Timout Settings (under the Tools menu) and see if increasing the Connection Timeout or Command Timeout long helps.

Bronze Elite Contributor

On one of the subscribers try detaching the production database from SQL in Actdiag. Ensure that an ACT! demo database is connected to the SQL instance and see if running only this database connected to the SQL instance has any beneficial effect.

Were any of the machines cloned from an image with ACT! installed and SQL service running?  

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Copper Contributor

Actually the machines were done by cloning (ghost image) but I believe

the SQL services were stopped on the original machine first.

Also the databases were only installed per RDB method after the target machine was finalized.

best regards,

Martin Glueckmann

I'd suspect that creating the machines via ghosting would have issues on SQL that refers to databases via machine name, which you would have changed after the ghost.

SQL will be broken since the server name is incorrect. You'd need to run the following SQL to correct this (you can do this from a command script/batch file using sqlcommand.exe. This is a standard procedure when you change a SQL Server's name or an instance name.

You can then run the script/batch file as part of a sysprep setup (tell it to run a script at the end), or do it using any other method that runs once when the computer starts for the first time.  Just make sure the SQL Server service is started somehow!

Run the following procedures with %computername% as the <new_name>, and whatever the original imaged pc name was as the <old_name>:-

For a renamed named instance, run the following procedures:
sp_dropserver <old_name\ACT7>
GO
sp_addserver <new_name\ACT7>, local
GO

Solution
Accepted by topic author Martin
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Thanks for all your contributions !

Meanwhile I have found the reason (silly me that I have not considered that myself before)...

By inspecting the Event Viewer logs we found the service was stopped actually straight all four hours

while the PC was running, i.e. 9:16h  13:16h  17:16h and the only coincidence to that timing was:

Our automatically Altiris Software Update process !!!

It has found out by an inventory job that there is a SW SQL Server 2005 on the new machine and

started pulling the latest SQL2005-KB954606-blabla Microsoft update onto the machine.

As this is behaving as badly as its sibling KB..109 update it was aborting always midway through,

but it was running far enough to stop the (ACT7) instance first and -due to abort- did not restart it.

It was started with a /silent parameter so it never showed up any error message too.  

I was not aware that Altiris was installing anything but OS and Office updates, know I found out. Grrrmph...

We will have to contact our global "patching team" to first get an exception for all ACT installations now.

So, one out of three severe bugs hindering the ACT to become a success is exterminated

Let's tackle the next construction site...

Martin Glueckmann
Copper Contributor

How/where do I run this. I've created an Image and deployed it across 6 machines and now I'm getting SQL grief!

[ Edited ]

Hello Vini,
So the Community can better assist you, please tell us specifically what the issue is that you are experiencing and when it is occurring. Also, please include the version of ACT! you are using and the operating systems involved. You may also want to start a new posting to make it easier for us to focus on your specific issue as this thread is almost a year old.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Argh! I thought I'd quoted. This is what I'm trying to do; I've built an image with XP Pro & ACT 11, deployed the image over 11 computers... but having problems with the SQL instance, I can manually start it, and when I do it the Server Name in ACTDiag is the name of the original image host, I guess I need to perform the 'solution' as below;

SQL will be broken since the server name is incorrect. You'd need to run the following SQL to correct this (you can do this from a command script/batch file using sqlcommand.exe. This is a standard procedure when you change a SQL Server's name or an instance name.

You can then run the script/batch file as part of a sysprep setup (tell it to run a script at the end), or do it using any other method that runs once when the computer starts for the first time. Just make sure the SQL Server service is started somehow!

Run the following procedures with %computername% as the <new_name>, and whatever the original imaged pc name was as the <old_name>:-

For a renamed named instance, run the following procedures:
sp_dropserver <old_name\ACT7>
GO
sp_addserver <new_name\ACT7>, local
GO

however, sqlcommand.exe isn't on my machine, so I'm guessing it's not part of the Express that ships with ACT.

I'm pushed for time, so resorted to uninstalling and reinstalling each machine, which has been nothing but time consuming.

Will these machines being running local databases or just accessing a shared database? If they will not be running local databases, then it is not necessary to install the ACT7 instance of SQL locally.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.