Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

[SOLVED] Problem with Act v16 Premium Web Component - Could not load file or assembly 'Act.LayoutDesigner.Resources'

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

[SOLVED] Problem with Act v16 Premium Web Component - Could not load file or assembly 'Act.LayoutDesigner.Resources'

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I installed Act Premium v16 for Web on a new computer (Win 7 Pro, handful of users right now) and the web component worked great.  The next day, I started getting this error:

Exception Details: System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'Act.LayoutDesigner.Resources' or one of its dependencies. The parameter is incorrect. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070057 (E_INVALIDARG))

I tried uninstalled Act and reinstalling. I've changed my "Impersonator" account numerous times. The tests in the "Website Administration" all complete successfully. I've used domain admin and local accounts with local admin privledges, still same error. I've messed with IIS settings, started and stopped, rebooted about 10 times, and tried different browsers.  None of my searches on the web result in anything other than the IIS impersonation acccount issue.  Also all Windows Updates have been installed.

Stumped!  Any ideas?

The full error is here:

Server Error in '/APFW' Application.

Could not load file or assembly 'Act.LayoutDesigner.Resources' or one of its dependencies. The parameter is incorrect. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070057 (E_INVALIDARG))

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Assembly Load Trace: The following information can be helpful to determine why the assembly 'Act.LayoutDesigner.Resources' could not be loaded.

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

Stack Trace:

[FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'Act.LayoutDesigner.Resources' or one of its dependencies. The parameter is incorrect. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070057 (E_INVALIDARG))]

[FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'Act.LayoutDesigner.Resources, Version=16.1.207.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=ebf6b2ff4d0a08aa' or one of its dependencies. The parameter is incorrect. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070057 (E_INVALIDARG))]
   System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly._nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks) +0
   System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks) +34
   System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoadAssemblyName(AssemblyName assemblyRef, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly reqAssembly, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks) +152
   System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoad(String assemblyString, Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean forIntrospection) +77
   System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoad(String assemblyString, Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean forIntrospection) +16
   System.Reflection.Assembly.Load(String assemblyString) +28
   System.Web.Configuration.CompilationSection.LoadAssemblyHelper(String assemblyName, Boolean starDirective) +38

[ConfigurationErrorsException: Could not load file or assembly 'Act.LayoutDesigner.Resources, Version=16.1.207.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=ebf6b2ff4d0a08aa' or one of its dependencies. The parameter is incorrect. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070057 (E_INVALIDARG))]
   System.Web.Configuration.CompilationSection.LoadAssemblyHelper(String assemblyName, Boolean starDirective) +752
   System.Web.Configuration.CompilationSection.LoadAllAssembliesFromAppDomainBinDirectory() +218
   System.Web.Configuration.CompilationSection.LoadAssembly(AssemblyInfo ai) +130
   System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetReferencedAssemblies(CompilationSection compConfig) +170
   System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetPreStartInitMethodsFromReferencedAssemblies() +91
   System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CallPreStartInitMethods(String preStartInitListPath, Boolean& isRefAssemblyLoaded) +285
   System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.ExecutePreAppStart() +153
   System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironment.Initialize(ApplicationManager appManager, IApplicationHost appHost, IConfigMapPathFactory configMapPathFactory, HostingEnvironmentParameters hostingParameters, PolicyLevel policyLevel, Exception appDomainCreationException) +521

[HttpException (0x80004005): Could not load file or assembly 'Act.LayoutDesigner.Resources, Version=16.1.207.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=ebf6b2ff4d0a08aa' or one of its dependencies. The parameter is incorrect. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070057 (E_INVALIDARG))]
   System.Web.HttpRuntime.FirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +9950728
   System.Web.HttpRuntime.EnsureFirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +101
   System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestNotificationPrivate(IIS7WorkerRequest wr, HttpContext context) +254

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.34237

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author scottarace
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: Problem with Act v16 Premium Web Component - Could not load file or assembly 'Act.LayoutDesigner.Resources'

I ended up resolving this issue.  I uninstalled ALL Dot Net and Microsoft C++ Redistributalbe packages from Programs/Features in Control Panel, some ASP.net update and some Sync Components. This included Dot Net 4.5.1, which is possibly the offender here (not sure, have not done testing to find out).

Rebooted, reinstalled Act fresh and it works fine. Hope this helps someone, this set me back on a week on this project but glad to be able to move on.

View solution in original post

All Replies

Re: Problem with Act v16 Premium Web Component - Could not load file or assembly 'Act.LayoutDesigner.Resources'

FYI, I have the latest version of Dot Net 4.5 installed.  About to uninstall all the ASP.net and Dot Net componetns on this PC and try re-installing that way. Anyone else have any ideas?

Solution
Accepted by topic author scottarace
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

I ended up resolving this issue.  I uninstalled ALL Dot Net and Microsoft C++ Redistributalbe packages from Programs/Features in Control Panel, some ASP.net update and some Sync Components. This included Dot Net 4.5.1, which is possibly the offender here (not sure, have not done testing to find out).

Rebooted, reinstalled Act fresh and it works fine. Hope this helps someone, this set me back on a week on this project but glad to be able to move on.

Copper Contributor

I ran into this issue myself when I installed Act Premium for Web v16 about a month ago on a pair of Win 7 Pro machines.  The help desk guy was extremely helpful and through his remote connect capability (he was in India), and I let him revert the .NET installation from v4.5.1 back to v4.0 on my machines (both server and client).  Then it worked fine to reinstall and run the Act program.  

Later, after I'd set Windows Update to automatically update itself, a few days later I found that .NET v4.5.1 had been reinstalled.  However, the program continues to work fine.  I suspect it's in the installation phase that v4.5.1 corrupts something in Act; but after installation, the upgrade doesn't seem to hurt anything.  Keep that in mind if you ever have to reinstall ACT - make sure to find an old copy of .NET v4.0 and keep it handy.