Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

SBS 2008 sharing problem

Bronze Elite Contributor

SBS 2008 sharing problem

ok this is super odd for me... and i pains me to ask for help...

server 2008 sbs w/ ACT 2010 EX edition...

No problem at server: act opens on the server... 

the workstations browse to \\actshare\database and they can't see the ADF or ALF file...
all they see is the PAD and supplemental file folders!

what the heck?? 

What security app would prevent us from seeing the actual SQL files??

Kills me that the dude won't let me touch the server...  i know its not an act problem (is a permissions/security issue) but he expects us to "fix it"...

anyone see this before?

-MM
World Famous ACT! Certified Consultant @ www.ActiveSales.net
Silver Contributor

Re: SBS 2008 sharing problem

Any chance he opened up the share to the supplemental files folder instead of to it's parent?
Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Platinum Super Contributor

Not being able to see the adf and alf files isn't necessarily a problem.  The function of sharing a database sets the 'database files' folders as shared but doesn't necessarily mean that the adf and alf files will be seen.  I assume you are unable to open the shared database - what is the error you are receiving?

The most common cause for not being able to open a shared database is from Firewall/Anti-Virus software blocking.  With that in mind, here is an article explaining the exceptions to be added to your Firewall software: Firewall Exceptions

Greg Martin
Sage

Hi, newly registered here. Don't know if this is a similar issue. We have just migrated to new server now running SBS 2008 from SBS 2003. ACT 2010 used by group of 6. Whenever loaded it cannot find the last used db, and even when we put in the filepath for the .pad it will not open it. Can navigate to the db without problem and it opens without issues. Why can ACT not remember where the db is located.

Any help would be much appreciated.

James

Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello James,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. Is the path a network path or local path? If network path, then try having the users put a copy of the .PAD file on their machines and use that local path as the startup database location.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Hi Greig,

Thanks for your very speedy reply. It is a network path. We keep the ACT db on a separate drive to our other information. My IT manager has no, or at least very little, knowledge of ACT, so I thought I would investigate. By 'putting a copy of the .PAD file on their machines' do you mean a shortcut to the .PAD on the network drive or just copy it to e.g. desktop? Does the .PAD file work as a shortcut?

Thanks

[ Edited ]

It would be best for the users would put an actual copy of the .PAD file on their machine (not a shortcut). Then put the path to that copy in the startup line in their ACT! preferences. I'm curious, do you have the same issue when opening ACT! locally on the server? Or is it just with the client machines?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Thanks Greig, I'll give it a go.

OK, I've tried a few options, including placing the .PAD file at the root of the C drive, and also locating it in the preconfigured folder created by ACT which is located here: C:\Documents and Settings\jevery.HYDRO-DYNAMIX\My Documents\ACT\ACT For Windows 12\Databases\HydroNew.pad. Still no joy, but at least when ACT tells me it cannot find the .PAD file and it suggests the above location it is already there! So even if I have put the correct filepath into the Named database slot, or if I ask it to go for the Last opened option, it just doesn't want to know. I admit that this is not critical, but it is certainly frustrating!

Check the following registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ACT

Look at the value for LastDBFileUsed. Is that value correct? You can also manually type in a value to see if that works.

Greig Hollister