Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

SA Password

SA Password

I use ODBC to pull data from ACT and I got SA Password utility from act  because there were some columns that I needed to pull through that could only be accessed using this utility.

However, since we have upgraded to premium 2012 these columns no longer pull through any data and i was told that I needed a new SA Password as this is linked to the serial number.

Now I have this, how can I put this into the ODBC so that these columns start pulling through data again??

Sorry, I am fairly new to all this and I'm not too clued up.

Cheers, Justin

Employee

Re: SA Password

Which columns are these? And are you able to see the data in the table in sql management studio? 

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator

Matthew,

thank for your reply.  The one column I especially need is 'DETAILS' from the 'TBL_HISTORY' table.

Sorry, not sure what the sql management studio is I'm afraid.  No data pulls into Microsoft Query if that helps...

MT,

Justin.

Employee

SQL Management Studio is a database management tool, being as you have an administrative login, you can login to the ACT7 instance directly this way and see the data in the tables. You should be able to access that column through the OLEDB or the ODBC without the need for the SA password. Albeit, since it is an rich text field, the formatting comes along with it as well.

Are other columns blank as well, or just the details? You could try following this KB to setup an OLEDB connection to excel and you should be able to see whether the history's your pulling simply have no data in the details column of if there is another issue.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator

Is the ACT7 instance different to he Act reader tool - sorry to be thick.

Also, this column doesn't seem to be accessible through ODBC withouut SA Password as all other columns populate but not the details one.

There definitely data in this column as it pulled through all the correct data before we upgraded.

Employee

ACT7 is our named SQL Server instance, the Act Reader tool simply creates an ODBC connection to this instance of SQL. 

The details column should be accessible with or without the administrative password, did you try setting up the OLEDB connection from my previous post, and if so were you able to view the values in this column?

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator

Matthew,

I can view values in this column using OLEDB connection.

So do I need to user the SQL management studio to get it with ODBC?

Employee

No, I just suggested using management studio so we could verify there's indeed data in this column.

If you don't require an ODBC connection, the easiest solution is to just use the OLEDB connection. I think this option would be preferable unless you either require ODBC or have some need to write to the database this way.

If you do need ODBC, then I'd probably start by creating a new connection. On a Windows 7 PC, you can open the ODBC Data Source Administrator by typing "odbc" in the start menu. You can follow the wizard to create a new connection and use either use the ACTREADER account or the administrative password that you've purchased. In either case, afterwards check to see if the details are now visible.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator

OK - I would like to use ODBC if possible I think as I have already spent hours building a report around it and would like to keep this if possible.  Also not too au fait with OLEDB, can't really see how you can edit the query after setting it intitially.

I have tried setting up a new ODBC logging in using ACTREADER but still doesn't pull through anything?

Employee

That's strange and I've not seen this behavior before, might be worth testing with another database or the demo.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator