Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Run Act! 2006 and 2010 on same machine?

Run Act! 2006 and 2010 on same machine?

I have a client who is going to upgrade to Act!2010 Prem from Act! 2006 Prem. They want to do so at the beginning of the year. In the mean time they want to load both onto a machine  so they can learn the new format and feature while still using the old version in their production environment.  When I tried to load the program onto one of their machines, it wanted the old version uninstalled first.  Support says I should be able to do this. Has anyone done this and what did you do to accomplish it?

Many thanks,

Peter

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Run Act! 2006 and 2010 on same machine?

No, two versions can't be hosted on the same Windows installation because they each have different MSSQL schema and the fact that use the same registry hives.

Support may have been referring to having each version installed to it's own virtual machine on the same box which can be done.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

If I host the data on a separate machine will that overcome the issue? I do have access to two servers that can potentially host the data (one for each version.)

Thanks,

Peter

It should but much depends on how everything was configured. However, the workstation would still be limited to one version or the other.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

RE:It should but much depends on how everything was configured. However, the workstation would still be limited to one version or the other.

The workstation limitation is what I am really looking for. Thanks for the answer.

Regards,

Peter

The only way to have two versions on a single workstation is to use something like VMWare