Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Reverse Order of Drop Down List

Accepted Solution Solved
Bronze Elite Contributor
Accepted Solution

Reverse Order of Drop Down List

Title says it all - clients wants to add to the drop down list for next sequential number so would like the last number at the top when going into edit on drop downs. There is no feature in ACT (that I know of) but has anyone got a work round or add-on?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author ch1p
‎05-08-2017 02:38 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Reverse Order of Drop Down List

From past questions about the drop downs, I believe they are either based on a operating system or programming language control which dictates the sort of the list. Another problem for what they want to do is that the drop down sort is alphanumeric and not numeric which means that numbers don't sort in numeric order. There are addons that will insert the next sequential number in a field each time a new contact is added.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author ch1p
‎05-08-2017 02:38 AM

From past questions about the drop downs, I believe they are either based on a operating system or programming language control which dictates the sort of the list. Another problem for what they want to do is that the drop down sort is alphanumeric and not numeric which means that numbers don't sort in numeric order. There are addons that will insert the next sequential number in a field each time a new contact is added.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Bronze Elite Contributor

Thanks Roy

You confirmed my understanding. The problem with add-ons that select the next sequential number is that 2 people will be remote.

Ch1p Remotes definitely cause problems. The big question becomes do the numbers need to be sequential or just unique. If sequential then the add on wouldn't work and editing the drop down wouldn't work unless you synced immediately after adding a new number. If simply unique is the criteria then an add on could be a workaround. The one I've used allowed setting a base number. If each remote and the host used a different base number, basically each would have a block of numbers assigned to them. the unique number could be satisfied without conflict.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129