Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Reusing remote database names

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Reusing remote database names

We have had problems syncing a user and after various iterations I have rebuilt his laptop.  In all of our tests we have had to re create a remote database for him several times, and Act doessn't let you use the same name twice for this.

I know it's hardly a showstopper but the main database now has lots of variations around the user name and I can't find how to remove them so I can reuse a sensible remote name.  They are not stored in Actdiag to be removed from there, and I have removed the actual files from the initial remote database folder.  Any thoughts on how I can reuse one of the names.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author ralphw
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Reusing remote database names

For efficiency of the database, you will want to remove all of the remote databases no longer used.  As long as they remain 'active' in your list of remotes, they will continue to track changes for the next synchronization (which won't happen). 

To clean up the Remote Database list on the host:

- Tools > Synchronization Panel > Manage Database

- click on an unused remote > select 'Disable/Change Sync Status'

- set it to 'Disabled' > click Finish

- on the main screen > highlight the now disabled remote and select 'Delete Database'

Once the list has been cleaned up you should be able to reuse the name(s).

Greg Martin
Sage

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author ralphw
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Reusing remote database names

For efficiency of the database, you will want to remove all of the remote databases no longer used.  As long as they remain 'active' in your list of remotes, they will continue to track changes for the next synchronization (which won't happen). 

To clean up the Remote Database list on the host:

- Tools > Synchronization Panel > Manage Database

- click on an unused remote > select 'Disable/Change Sync Status'

- set it to 'Disabled' > click Finish

- on the main screen > highlight the now disabled remote and select 'Delete Database'

Once the list has been cleaned up you should be able to reuse the name(s).

Greg Martin
Sage