Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Restructuring Act from Contact based to Company based

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Restructuring Act from Contact based to Company based

Greetings!

Since way before my time, my company has structured Act so there is a Contact set up for each company we have as a customer, and additional individuals for that company are listed in the "Secondary Contacts" tab.  It is my understanding that Act should be set up so each Contact is an individual and then we should be attaching them to a Company within Act.  This set up caused issues when using the old Swiftpage platform for emarketing because we could only email the one address on file for the company within the Contact as opposed to individual Contacts with a Company, and it appears it will work that way for AMA as well.

We are looking to change the way the database is structured to the proper format and was curious if anyone had suggestions on any possible way we might be able to automate that process?  I'm all ears for any ideas out there, as I anticipate this will be a very long, labor intensive project.

Much thanks!

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Re: Restructuring Act from Contact based to Company based

Hi Amanda. That's a pretty strange way to set up companies. Do you have any company records at all? You didn't say how many contacts or how much data there is. You haven't really provided enough of the full picture for an effective reply but I'll do what I can to get you started. ACT is just garbage when it comes to making lists or groups of companies and doing something useful with them so I can understand why they might have started out implementing ACT like that. You will lose that ability to make useful lists of companies with complicated criteria, maybe for sending mail or faxes or something. You need to seriously think about what your process are are now and consider what abilities you might lose in making this change. Personally, I would accomplish this with direct manipulation of the sql database and not involve ACT at all. That's if you really want to be certain you maintain the linked history and opportunities and activities to your satisfaction. Based on what I see on these forums there are not many people like me out there that do this kind of thing or they keep it to themselves. If you manage to find someone with those skills that's your easiest and best way to go about it hands down. Maybe someone will read this and reach out to you. Via ACT, you would probably export the contacts, massage the data to resemble company records, and then import the file as company records. You still have to deal with re-linking histories to these new companies which will be very tedious and probably impossible via import/export. Then make all the secondary contacts into primary contacts of the new company records. Maybe possible via import/export, maybe not. I'm not so familiar with that, I don't have any secondary contacts. If all your history & activities are tied to the secondary contacts this route might be doable with a lot of manual labour. I hope that helps you along the process at least a little.
Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Thanks for your reply.  We have just under 32,000 contacts and the whole database is just over 2GB.  We only have 3 Companies right now, but I doubt they're really utilized. The truth is I'm not super technical either, which makes this a little more challenging.  We've been using ACT longer than I have been around (10 years) so the amount of history that would have to be moved is astronomical.  To be honest, I didn't even think about moving history/notes, etc.  

Highlighted
Employee

Hello,

If you have Act! not Online look into an addon product called Oak Merge
https://www.oakmerge.com/

One function is:
Add Secondary Contacts and link to the primary contact

...always have a backup! File Backup > prior to any major changes to database

Thank you,
Carl

Act! Support