Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Restrict Users from Integrating Google

jsi

Restrict Users from Integrating Google

Has anyone had an issue with the ability of a user having a way of syncing company owned contacts to there personal Google Account? I understand users can just type out the contacts they have access to. But to be able to rip an entire database to there personal account seems a bit much. Our users need to add and edit contact information and they have access to a large amount of company contacts. So adding restriction is not an option being that they need to edit and add to the database. I have a huge problem with having no control over the google integration. I do not have the power to wipe out a users personal google account upon termination or leave. ACT allows you to disable the export to excel and backup option for standard users why is this so open. Any help would be appreciated.

Administrator

Re: Restrict Users from Integrating Google

Hi jsi,

While it is not currently possible to remove the individual permission for integrating with Google, it is possible to disable these options for a particular user by setting their Security Role to Restricted.
Alternatively, the option for integrating with Google could be removed from the menus within Act to hide this feature, although this could be un-hidden again by the user if the were to reset the customisation options.
jsi

Thanks Gary W but the users need to contribute to the database. Restricted Access will not work. I just don't understand why you can restrict a user from creating a backup, or even exporting to excel. But no way to administer whether or not a user has the right to take company owned contacts and sync to there private Google account. I would have no way of wiping that remote account out if our sales team decides to move on and god forbid to one of our competitors. Swiftpage couldn't have made it any easier to accomplish this.

Bronze Elite Contributor

Act! has quite a few inconsistencies in managing access control and security policy that need addressing. Access to Google and Outlook synchronisation should definitely be the preserve of a database administrator ONLY.   

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

jsi

Agreed. But then again this is swiftpages show now. We have been using act for well over 13 years. Because of this and lack of control I am currently in talks with SalesForce.

Bronze Elite Contributor

I to question why Swiftpage spend money on trivial additions while very important access control, security and and workflow promoting changes go ignored. Customers should make their voices heard. I don't believe that Salesforce is a competitor to Act! core business, its just out of most Act! customers price bracket.    

Graeme Leo

Administrator

The addition of a permission to limit this functionality is a good idea and would make a great suggestion for our Share Your Ideas board. Our product management team regularly use this board as a resource for determining popular suggestions for new Act features.

Bronze Elite Contributor

Yes Gary, for myself, I'm very aware of the suggestions board  however very rarely is attention paid to implementing suggestions so I stopped bothering years ago. 

Graeme Leo