Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Restoring from a remote database

Restoring from a remote database

Gday folks. I have a number of laptops running Act 7.04 Premium for Workgroups and I have been hosting the main database on my machine. Long to short, I had a virus last week and had to wipe the system and managed to make a backup of the Main database before reformatting. SOmething has gone wrong and the backup is refusing to restore. One of my team has an up to date Remote copy with all the data in, but I cannot figure out how to get this to resync to recreate the main database from scratch on my machine. As all of the data is there I cannot see why I cannot sync it up to an empty database and carry on as before. I have tried a number of things with no joy. Any ideas, I'm ripping my hair out here!
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Restoring from a remote database

You need to create the remotes from the Publisher.

You might need to merge all the databases back into a central copy and recreate the subscribers

Could you elucidate a little?

To bring all the data back into a central copy, File | Save Empty Copy then use this ACT! Knowledge Base article to bring all the other database info in - http://tinyurl.com/2gcjs2

Actually, do you still have the previous master backup? What happens when they tried to re-load it?

I still have it though it comes up with an error message during the restore process. I also have a backup copy taken around November time. This restores fine, though it is not aware of some of the remote databases which were created since then and they cant see it on the network.

What's the error?

Maybe use the November version, get the remotes it doesn know and merge them in to the central as per the link I posted, then re-cut them new RDB files

Error message comes up after the Restore As button is pressed. System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object at C1.C1ZipFile.Open(String filename) at Act.UI.DatabaseMaintenanceDialogs.ValidatePassword()

For some reason it thinks that you are trying to restore a backup from an earlier version of ACT! as per this article in the ACT! Knowledge Base - http://tinyurl.com/2z3vqv

I'm having a similar problem. My server crashed and I lost the publisher db (ACT 2007). I have a remote copy of the database which I was able to backup and "restore as" onto my server. It opens and appears to work OK. However, when I try to create a remote db from this copy I get the following error:

"Failed to create remote database XXXX. The system cannot find the file specified Please contact the adminstrator"....

I went into Help, About ACT, Database Information (on the top of the screen) and saw that the database created is not listed under sync role as "Publisher". The line is blank.  Going into ACTDIAG shows online, unlocked, db version 09.01.0152.0000

Any help would be appreciated.

Try this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/2ejvhs

What folder are you trying to create the remote file in?