Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Restoring a Backup ZIP file without ADF & ALF files

Restoring a Backup ZIP file without ADF & ALF files

[ Edited ]

I had to format the harddisk that was running the ACT Server. Now i have re-installed ACT again and am trying a Restore|Restore As using a backup zip file that i had taken prior to installation. It restores fine but none of the clients are able to sync with this machine. The database name is still the same old name and i have changed the network setings / port numbers to reflect the current settings in all the cliet\nt machines.

When i look up actdiag, the database has "NO" on the sync column, although the sync server is running. I looked up some docs and it mentions that i have to detach and re-open the database using the ADF & ALF files (which unfortunately got deleted when the HDD was formatted!). Is there any way i can re-enable sync on this machine with the same database name?

**Edit** : Its a ACT 2007/9.0 Premium for Workgroups on Win XP Pro SP3

Message Edited by brainstormer on 04-29-2009 10:18 PM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Restoring a Backup ZIP file without ADF & ALF files

Sure, just create new remote databases for the remote users. The restore as means you have a new database with no connection to the sync in the old database.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thanks Roy...

I fished out an old set of ADF & ALF files, probably 20-25 days old and was able to restore the database. Now, would i be able to update the database with my last backup so that it is up-to-date. My sales manager will kill me if i hand him a remote retore file!!!

Frankly I don't know if it would work. It seems to me that you are trying to find a shortcut where I believe the actual shortcut is creating new remote databases.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Are you running a sync server?

Have you got the new ACT! server, the sync server and all clients at the same build of ACT! (check Help | about)?

What is the error the clients get?

You might have a read of these ACT! Knowledge Base articles -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1427...

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1981...