Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Restoring Database

Restoring Database

When attempting to RESTORE a database, a large window appears stating numerous errors.  This is too much for me to post here, but suffice to say, the beginning IN BRIEF states the follows:

Act.Data.ActDbException:  Cannot open backup device etc.

PRC_MAINT_RESTOREDB: ERROR EXECUTING DATABASE RESTORE STATEMENT

In search of this, I cam upon several articles touching on this matter, and all were clear and concise.  I followed those that applied to me such as the location to restore the database to.  Ensuring that there were no unallowed characters in the file name.  Stopping and restarting the dabase service.  And a few other posts that I read and applied to my issue. 

None of them helped.  I just formatted and reinstalled my OS, so it is an absolutely clean copy of XP Pro.  I'm fairly computer literate and can say without question that the reinstall was performed perfectly.  So was the reinstallation of Act! Premium ver 10, that is, until I had to restore the database which is currently giving me this problem mentioned above.

I've tried everything suggested in the forums.

Does anyone have any ideas how to resolve this.  Please respond no matter how trivial you may think you're suggestion may be.  I need to try anything and everything here.  I have too much invested timewise in the OS reinstallation with other programs to go back and reinstall from square one.  I won't do this because I was extremely careful this reinstallation process to make sure everything was done as it should and in the proper orders, and so both the OS and Act!reinstallations went flawlessly.  I am pretty good knowing when something does or does not install properly.  I have a fairly good computer working knowledge and experience with such matters, so I feel confident in trusting my reinstallation proceedures.

So once more, if anyone has any clues as to this mystery and can help me out here, I would thank you in advance for any help extended my way.

IF possible, please respond to my E-mail address at:

peterb525@comcast.net

Regards

Peter

Nickel Contributor

Re: Restoring Database

I know you've already mentioned you've followed some of the KB's on the topic, but because this one is fairly new I'm going to link it, if it helps great, if not, sorry for providing redundant information:

KB 23953

Copper Contributor

If you rebuilt the OS and reinstalled everything and have a true ACT! backup via a zip file backup, you must do a Restore As.

When you restore a database on a new or rebuilt system, you need to do a Restore As.

This is because it know which computer it comes from.

Felix

Flexible Act Solutions

Felix Trinh
Flexible ACT Solutions, LLC
baz
Copper Contributor

I had the exact same error when restoring a database. Following the KB 23953 article fixed it for me.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.  You are correct in assuming that I've already attempted you're solution, but what I glossed over originally, I shouldn't have because I thought it so incidental.

It so happens the tiniest solution was the problem.  When I reinstalled the program, it did not include the latest upgrade or update, whatever the semantical definition is.  The backup file was created on another system with an updated version, and if those versions do not match exactly, the program stalls the reinstallation process.

I originally saw this answer, but in my vanity, simply glossed over it and prematurely falsly assumed it was not my answer or solution.  That was a mistake as I found out.

I am now back up and running.  I wish to thank you once again however, for taking the time to acknowledge my request and trying to help me.  It is very much appreciated.