Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Restored Backup of Remote Database - How to re-establish Sync?

Copper Contributor

Restored Backup of Remote Database - How to re-establish Sync?

So... I did a complete fresh install of Act v17.2 and Windows 10 on my laptop computer which had a remote database on it.  I backed up the remote database but forgot setup the move prior to restoring from backup.

I have now restored the backup but wish to re-establish syncing with the server.  How do I go about accomplishing this?  Any steps/guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Employee

Re: Restored Backup of Remote Database - How to re-establish Sync?

Hi,

Try this step,

Instead of using restore as which will not restore the database as subscriber but instead as a standalone database, trying opening the zip file backup and you will find a .bak file. Try attaching that .bak file through actdiag Tools -> Restore Database -> Restore BaK File As and check if you can give the same name as remote database while doing the same.

Copper Contributor

I've already made several additions/changes to the database since restoring.  Is there no other way than trying to restore the backup again as you've described?

Copper Contributor

I was able to create a new remote database from the server, then export all my new activity from the other database to this new remote database and sync back to the server.  I couldn't think of another way to make it work.  Will have to make a note that next time I must do a Restore so that it retains the synchronization.

Thanks

Bronze Contributor

On the Sync setup there is a way to tell it you are pointing at a new server. It's called the Connection Information.  Then you would not have needed to create a new remote.

Patricia Egen
Certified ACT! Consultant, Trainer, Developer
www.egenconsulting.com
(423) 875-2652

Follow us on:

Visit our Popular ACT Wizards Page Wizards Here!

Copper Contributor

Thanks Patricia, guess I should have waited a little longer to see what other suggestions would come through.  Nevertheless, I'm back up and running but boy, have I ever run into issues with v17.2 on Windows 10 and Microsoft Office 2016.  I'm really hoping that v18 upgrade will fix all these issues.

i would even consider the web-based version if it somehow had email integration but my understanding is that it does not.  

Bronze Contributor

v18 does have support for Windows 10 and Office 2016 - I just love how Microsoft keeps us on our toes with new versions.  The web version does have support for Outlook email - what's not there "YET" is the access via the web to Office 365.  That's coming and will use the cool new WebAPI that is shipping with ACT v18. It's a development environment which could open up all kinds of neat addons and applications for mobile devices.

Patricia Egen
www.egenconsulting.com
(423) 875-2652

Follow us on:

Copper Contributor

So if you don't mind, please tell me more about this web-based integration with Outlook or Office 365. Me and my 3 partners all use Act on the desktop and have an Office 365 subscription. We use a Microsoft Exchange server for our emails. Because there is no way to quickly accept meeting invites in an email on mobile devices, we still use Outlook for all our calendar and tasks. We don't like the idea of manually inputting it all into HHC.

That said, if we could use the web-based version to solve a lot of our issues, particularly around compatibility, integration with Outlook, and working well on higher resolution displays, I'm in!! Would love to hear more if you can spare the time as I have not been able to find all that much information about v18.

For example, if you click an email address in the web-based version of v18, what email client opens up? will it store that email in the contact record? Can you choose at the time of sending the email whether the email is stored or not etc....

Thanks, appreciate any feedback!
Bronze Contributor

the information about the WebApi is a bit sparse at the moment.  I think we will see more very soon. As for what happens with the web integration now and also in v18 is this.  You go into tools and preferences and from the web download the Office control.  that allows the ACT for the Web application to directly talk to Outlook which is what gets opened up when you send an email.  You need the same plugin install so you can use Word and Excel with the ACT for Web (APFW) product.

The link here is the press release that talks a bit about the web api. http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/extend-the-power-of-act-and-streamline-efficiency-with-all-n...  The blurb there says this:

"

Web API Platform Enabled

With Act! v18, the all-new web API platform allows users to connect Act! to other business productivity tools to increase efficiency and save time on daily tasks. The Web API platform also provides users with the ability to develop new applications to increase productivity and streamline aspects of their business. The Act! Web API is only available to Act! Premium for Web and Act! Premium Cloud users.

we and a few other consultants are currently looking at connecting Excel Power BI tool to go after data for nifty reporting.  Using the same api, developers should be able to write nice little mobile apps that go into areas like Zapier for download.

Patricia Egen
www.egenconsulting.com
(423) 875-2652

Follow us on:

Copper Contributor

This is fantastic Patricia. Thanks for the detailed comments and feedback. We are seriously considering moving from the desktop version to the web based version for many of the things you've just mentioned. Also, I'm assuming going with premium web based version means we no longer have to worry about things like syncing? It's just updated in real time??

Can you think of any significant disadvantages with going web based?