Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Restore of ACT! database failing with "Access is denied"

Accepted Solution Solved
baz
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Restore of ACT! database failing with "Access is denied"

OK, finally got ACT! 2009 Premium working as I want using a shared database on our W2K3 server. Backups work ok as well. Problems with permissions and sharing all sorted. Last step was to ensure that I could restore a database from a backup. Unsurprisingly not as easy as I thought and I got the following error when restoring from the .zip file backup:

Act.Data.ActDb.ActDbException: Cannot open backup device "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\SERVER1_ETWACT_D20090304T100524.BAK. Operating system error 5(Access is denied).

RESTORE FILELIST is terminating abnormally. -> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Cannot open backup device "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\SERVER1_ETWACT_D20090304T100524.BAK. Operating system error 5(Access is denied).

(There is also a page full of error information after this)

The backup device which is trying to be opened is not the folder where the backup file is located. Is this normal? Anyway, I have tried copy the backup file to other locations and still get the same error. Are there any special permissions required for backup/restore?

There is now way I can go live with ACT! unless I know for sure that I can guarantee the restore of backups.

Help please!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author baz
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
baz
Copper Contributor

Re: Restore of ACT! database failing with "Access is denied"

After searching the forum more extensively I found the solution to my problem in the KB 23953 article.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author baz
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
baz
Copper Contributor

Re: Restore of ACT! database failing with "Access is denied"

After searching the forum more extensively I found the solution to my problem in the KB 23953 article.