Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Restore Deleted Contacts - No Backup - ACT 2008

Restore Deleted Contacts - No Backup - ACT 2008

[ Edited ]

I have a user who has accidentally deleted several contacts that were not in the last backup run (contacts added in the morning and backup runs over night), is it possible to restore them?

I have found an article that guides you through using Quick Check in actdiag for 6.0 and earlier but can not find the equivelent for 2008, all suggestions welcome.

{edited for html problems}

Message Edited by tashina on 05-07-2008 05:40 PM
Copper Super Contributor

Re: Restore Deleted Contacts - No Backup - ACT 2008

[ Edited ]

s4vva wrote:

I have a user who has accidentally deleted several contacts that were not in the last backup run (contacts added in the morning and backup runs over night), is it possible to restore them?

I have found an article that guides you through using Quick Check in actdiag for 6.0 and earlier but can not find the equivelent for 2008, all suggestions welcome.

There's no way to restore them.  But if you're backups are happening on a regular basis, then not too much time should have passed since the records were added.  It shouldn't be too much trouble to add them again.  If you're only backing up once a week, then almost a full week could go by, making it more difficult to re-add.

You should limit the user's permission settings if they aren't going to be careful. 

{edited for html problems}

Message Edited by tashina on 05-07-2008 05:43 PM

I am very good with this kind of stuff and have customized several databases. However, twice i have deleted more than half of my contacts and have no idea how. Our ACT trainer has told us that when you delete a group it should not delete your contacts associated with the group. That is the only thing i did when they were deleted (this time). Of course ACT will  not support their software unless you pay them more. 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello scott238,
Welcome to the ACT! Online Community. The trainer was correct that when you delete a Group or Subgroup, it will not delete the contacts associated with that Group. It only removes the link. The contacts may be in the database, but you just can't access them. See if your contact count in SQL matches the one you see in your database. You can do this in ACT! Diagnostics.
- From the machine hosting the database, go to Start/Run and type actdiag. For Windows Vista / Windows 7 / Server 2008, just type this in the Search box on the Start menu

- When ACT! Diagnostics opens, click Databases, then Database List

- Locate your database then click on it to highlight

- Right-click on your database and select Database Structure, then Table Recordcounts Reports.

- Near the top of the resulting report (Entity:Contact) will show you the number of contacts you have, broken down by access

If the contacts are gone, then I am not sure how you deleted them...but it was definately not a result of deleting the Groups they were associated with.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Platinum Elite Contributor

If you happened to make a lookup of the members of the group and then deleted the lookup, you would have deleted the contacts, not the group. Deleting the group won't deleted the contact in the group. What messages did you get when you deleted the group?

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129