Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Restore ACT DB to different Server then sync

Restore ACT DB to different Server then sync

I'm trying to restore the ACT database to a different server.  I perform a "restore as" using the same original database name and all goes well.  However the client machines are unable to sync even after I click Tools > synchronization panel > enable sync.  I presume this has something to do with the new server name.  I do not want to loose all the client data that has not yet been synchronized.  Long story but using the same server name is not in the cards.  How do I get the remote clients to be able to synchronize without loosing their data?
Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Restore ACT DB to different Server then sync

The following knowledge base article should help you accompolish this.

How To Retain Synchronization When the Publisher and/or Subscriber Database is Moved to a Different ...

This article references detaching and attaching the database whereas I have restored the database using "restore as".  Also, thinking that I could possibly skip the detach / attach process and substitute with backup / restore I notice that in Synchronization panel that the "Manage Main Database Location" is greyed out anyway.  Any thoughts or suggestions? 

Copper Super Contributor

Note that performing a "Restore As" will remove all of that database's Sync configuration information.  Your best and recommended approach is to detach from the original location, copy all of the database files (including its folder structure) to the new machine, then open that .ADF file locally on the new machine using ACT!.  This will attach the database (so it can be used now) and perform a Verify to true things up.

I believe the KB Article AJones referenced will then guide you thru changing the machine name on the other databases that sync with it.

Bill Blakey
ACT! Development Team
Sage Software

Detach and re-attach method works fine if you are planning a move.  However, using the backups to restore to a different server in the event of a major failure would seem like function that would be built-in.    The scenario I am looking at is restoring a DB to a different server and allowing unsynchronized remote databases to synchonize.  Would any sort of DNS or host file manipulation help with this issue?  My goal is to not lose data.   It would seem that in the event of server failure restoring the data to a different server would result in data loss.

Anyone have any ideas on this one?  Seems a bit odd that you can't fully restore from a backup with the software.

Nickel Elite Contributor

Look closer at the KB article that Bill and AJones referenced, specifically the bottom link:

Click to Expand/Collapse this section Publisher: You have moved your Publisher (main) database to another computer

All you have to do is go in the remote(s) and change the server name that they are looking for...

Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com