Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Resolving conflicts on a Remote Synch

Copper Contributor

Resolving conflicts on a Remote Synch

Hello Act Experts. I have a perplexing issue and all my searches (Act Community, Google) have found nothing.  Your help will be appreciated.

We have a server with 5 users operating laptops in the field. We have Act Premium 2013 and use the 'Network' synch through our corporate VPN. Everything synchs perfectly from each of the individual laptops.  I just performed a synch test to better understand how Act will handle conflicts and I am puzzled with what occurred. I used a telephone field for my test and on one laptop entered one number and a different number on the second laptop. After synching the first, the server was updated appropriately but when I did the synch from the second laptop, the server did NOT update and the field remained the same on the second laptop.  After that, no matter how many times I've tried, the second laptop will not update that field at all.

Although I would love some 'warning' of potential conflicts (e.g., one field with two different updates from users hitting the server) I'm aware that is probably not what Act can handle. What I expected, instead, was: 1) first laptop synchs and server now has been updated; 2) second laptop comes in 10 minutes later and says "I want to change the field that was just changed" and server says "Okay, I will now take the new information and update the field."  This method would imply that the latest synch will always take precedence and overwrite the field even if it was just updated but that is NOT what is happening.

Could someone please help me understand what is happening here and how Act handles conflicts? Thank you!

Copper Contributor

Re: Resolving conflicts on a Remote Synch

Hello Act! Power Users.  Does no one out there have any experience with synching multiple remote databases?  I'd love your take on the problem I posted last week.  Thank you!

Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello Neil,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. The remote sync is designed so that, with edits to the same field for the same record, the data with the most recent timestamp wins.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Hello Greig.  Thank you for your response.  If I'm understanding correctly, then, if Remote1's computer clock is three (3) minutes behind Remote2's clock then if Remote2 synchs one minute BEFORE Remote1, then even though Remote1 is AFTER, the update to the field for Remote2 will still win?

I appreciate your help!