Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Resolved - Windows Authentication to SQL 2008 R2 fails after restoring 2008 ACT database to 2011 ACT Server

Copper Contributor

Resolved - Windows Authentication to SQL 2008 R2 fails after restoring 2008 ACT database to 2011 ACT Server

We struggled with this for the past week until the solution was discovered, so we thought it best to pass the solution along:

After installing ACT 2011 Premium Web ST (with SQL 2008 R2) we could connect to the demo database with SQL authentication and with Windows Authentication. However, after we restored our 2008 ACT database to the 2010 ACT server, windows authentication would fail.

We installed SQL Server Management Studio R2 and compared the logins.  On the 2008 server, the security group (Server Name)\SQLServer2005MSSQLUser$(ServerName)$ACT7  was included as a login, however, the corresponding security group was missing as a login on the 2010 ACT server.

We added the (Server Name)\SQLServerMSSQLUser$(Server Name)\$ACT7 security group as a login on the 2011 server, with the same permissions as the 2008 login, and Windows Authentication was restored.

Looks like the ACT database upgrade process somehow removed this security group from the logins.

Re: Resolved - Windows Authentication to SQL 2008 R2 fails after restoring 2008 ACT database to 2011 ACT Server

Where do you install this?

I get "To finalize the administration, the database administrator must login first" on the demo?

I cannot login to any of my old databases? I do not have the password?

Copper Contributor

Re: Resolved - Windows Authentication to SQL 2008 R2 fails after restoring 2008 ACT database to 2011 ACT Server

Before attempting to open the ACT database, download SQL Server Management Studio R2 from the Windows Download site and install.  Add an administrator to the locally installed database instances under computer managment, so you can open the ACT databases using NT authentication. 

After this is done, launch the Server Management Studio application and connect to the desired ACT database.  Verify the necessary ACT account information for the SQL database is correct.  If all looks good, launch ACT and connect to the newly converted ACT 2011 database.