Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

Resolution of the dependency failed, Type="Act.UI.ActApplication", name=""

Copper Contributor

Re: Resolution of the dependency failed, Type="Act.UI.ActApplication", name=""

@ghollister wrote:

Hello Nathan,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community. In regards to the error message you are receiving after applying ACT! 2010 SP1 HF1, you may be able to resolve by manually removing your preferences file. Follow these steps:

•  After applying the SP1 HF1 update, close ACT! and all MS Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook)
  • Open your Windows Task Manager, and under the Processes tab, end process for "Act.Outlook.Service.exe"
  •  Click on your Windows Start button. Type in the following command: %appdata% in the Search box in the lower left of the start menu.
  • This will open the Application Data folder. In this folder open the ACT folder.
  • In this folder you should see one or more folders named Act for Windows (version#), where "version#" is the current (or previous) versions of ACT! installed on this machine.
  • Rename this folder to "Act for WindowsOLD" (rename all if more than one)
  • Reboot your machine
  • Open ACT! and test

This procedure isn't working for me.  Do you have any other suggestions?  This is on a Windows 2008 R2 Remote Desktop Server.  Act! 2011 Premium.  There is only one user having this issue.  The other users can load Act! without a problem. 

Error:  

Resolution of the dependency failed, type = "Act.UI.ActApplication", name = "".  Exception Message is:  the current build operation (build key Build key[Act.UI.ActApplication,null]) failed: System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationException:Binary stream '0' does not contain a valid BinaryHeader.  Possible causes are invalid stream or object version change between serialization and deserialization...

Copper Contributor

I was able to fix it by restoring a backup of that user's folder (%appdata%\ACT).  Problem solved. 

Good evening,

I just received the same "resolution of dependency error". The fix you provided is not working for me. Help! Smiley Happy

I am running Windows 7, and Sage Act! Pro 2011. I have used this program for several months with no issues. As of this morning I now receive this error every time I try to open the program or if I reboot my computer. I have not made any changes to my computer...although I did notice Windows updated automatically early this morning. I tried to do a system restore point to several days ago, to see if that would work. It didn't. I also tried your solution, and it doesn't work either-I'm hoping you have something else in mind? Smiley Happy

TIA

i am having the same issue act 2011.... what is the fix?  i have tried renaming... reinstalling tahoma fonts...

nothing works!  i must have access to my database  Smiley Sad

Platinum Super Contributor

This issue is generally due to corrupted ACT! Preferences (or the Tahoma font), here is an article with instructions for resolving this issue, I recommend combining the steps for 'Run As Administrator', 'Manually Rebuild Preferences', and 'Delete the Dependentdlls.xml' file.  Performing all 3 together should resolve the issue.

KB Article 25865

Quick review of the steps:

- use steps to 'Manually Rebuild Preferences'

- use steps to 'Delete the Dependentdlls.xml' file

- launch ACT! by right clicking on ACT! icon and selecting 'Run As Administrator' (does not apply to XP machines)

If you are continuing to have the issue, check the DPI settings for your monitor.  DPI settings other than the default can corrupt the ACT! Preference files.  Here is an article with instructions for checking the DPI setting: KB Article 26349

Greg Martin
Sage

We are running ACT 2011 with SP1 and HF6 on Vista.  I have manually deleted peferences, re-installed both tahoma fonts, tried starting as administrator and deleted the Dependentdlls.xml file.  We just installed this a week ago and it was working fine until today.  Suggestions please?  Thanks.

Platinum Elite Contributor

There is one additional suggestion at the bottom of KB article 25865 regarding a missing .NET registry key. Please try this suggestion as well if you have not already done so. Here is the article link:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2586...

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Does that apply to Vista? I don't see a HKLM file.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Yes . "HKLM" is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

If none of this is working, can we just uninstall and reinstall? Thanks.