Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Reports templates failing when printing or previewing.

Reports templates failing when printing or previewing.

I am updating some of my report templates in Act 2008. Every so often when I preview a report I get an error message "Object reference not set to an instance of an object". I click ok and when I try to print it again I get a message "GUID should contain 32 digits with 4 dashes  (xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx)". The report is completely useless if I save it. If I haven't saved it to this point I can reopen the report and try to make the changes to the template again. This can happen with any report at any time.

From what I have read the first message is coming from ASP and the second message is coming from SQL. Has anyone scene this error and been able to fix it.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Reports templates failing when printing or previewing.

Thanks, but neither of these options helped.

I found the problem although I don't know where it is coming from. I read through the report file (which is in xml) and found this in the subreport.

<Subreport>
          <!--Report *** Contacts ***-->
          <Report version="2.5.20071.235">
            <Name>Contacts</Name>
            <ReportInfo />
            <DataSource>
              <ConnectionString>Act.UI.Designer.Report.Data.GroupReportConnection,Act.UI.Designer.Report.Data</ConnectionString>
              <Filter>[G:GroupID]='996bd04b-87bc-478f-a7c7-3d1082ecbfa0' And [G:GroupID]='996bd04b-87bc-478f-a7c7-3d1082ecbfa0' And [G:GroupID]='996bd04b-87bc-478f-a7c7-3d1082ecbfa0' And [G:GroupID]='c27e12ab-ffcc-4e2c-b20f-aabb90615c74'</Filter>
            </DataSource>

This <Filter> element was added into the report. I removed it and the report started working again.

Nickel Elite Contributor

That message typically indicates a corrupted report. If you are trying to modify one of the reports supplied with the ACT! program, you need to be careful as many of them have scripts and hidden fields and modifying the reports knowing what dependencies have been set up can lead to a corrupted template.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Nickel Elite Contributor

A filter element would not necessarily be out of place but that one appears to be something I would expect to see during runtime, not part of the actual template. Be cautious about canceling a preview that has not completed when you are in the report editor. I have managed to corrupt a couple of templates that way.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com