Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Reports Function in ACT 2010 Premium

Reports Function in ACT 2010 Premium

My version is: ACT! by Sage Premium 2010 Version 12.1.181.0, Hot Fix 1
English (United States)
Sage Software, Inc.

I was getting an error stating that "The Report could not be opened by ACT" so I uninstalled and reinstalled the software and that fixed it for a day or two before it started doing it again.  I simply can't uninstall and reinstall this software everytime this happens.  What other solutions are available? 

I'm running Windows 7. 

Thank you in advance. 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Reports Function in ACT 2010 Premium

This is the first time I've heard of anything like that. I suspect that it is a conflict on your system of a database problem. The next tiem it happens try opening the demo database and see if the same thing happens there. If not it's a database problem. If not, then it's a program or system problem. My suspects would be antivirus or firewall.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I have the same problem with the 2011 version and this server has only been running a few months.   The Database tests fine. Have rebuilt it even. Same problem.

Have you tried the demo database when it happens?

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

The same thing happens with the demo database.

IS that the local version of the demo database or is it on the server?

Does restarting the workstation resolve the problem?

Are you running a software firewall for example the Windows firewall?

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I only have the demo version loaded onto the server.  Nothing runs locally here.  I only access the database via remote desktop, not from my local workstation.  Since I'm running everything ON the server there's no firewall between the server and itself but yes, Windows firewall is turned on.

If the server connects to the internet through a router there is no real reason to have a software fitewall turned on at the server. 

There are several factors that could be involved including the server OS, your workstation OS, your server login rights, etc. Also does someone using ACT! directly on the server experience the same problem?

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Are you saying that Act isn't compatible with Windows Firewall or were you just looking at that as a potential reason why a network user might be having problems, which isn't my case at all?

I'm running Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise.  My workstation isn't really relavant since I'm running via Remote Desktop but it's Windows 7 Professional.  I'm the administrator for Act and I'm an Admin on the server so I have full access rights on both the software and the OS.   And yes, it's the same regardless of remote connection ro local log-in.

So there's no help for this?   I'm now running Act! Pro 2011 Version 13.0.401.0 Hot fix 2 and the problem persists.  I'm not able to run any Act reports.