Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Reporting Conundrum

Copper Elite Contributor

Reporting Conundrum

I have client with Web and Premium 2008 ST Edition. They would like some highly customized reports.

My weapon of choice is SQL Reoporting Services. The install of SQL 2005 Standard that comes with ACT does not include Reporting Services (or Management Studio or much else).

I tried installing a second instacne of SQL. This was SQL Express with advanced services. It included Reporting Services but Microsoft limits the report server to only data in that Express instance. In other words, I cannot connect to ACT7 on the ST instance.

These are the options I think that are open to me.

1. Uninstall SQL ST and ACT. Try to install ACT into a pre-existing SQL EX ACT7 instance. It might not be possible. If is works, I could report off ACT7 on EX.

2. Create some sort of DTS or publishing package to periodically copy ACT on ST to a SQL EX Database. Report off that. Microsoft may not allow it.

3. Tell the client to buy Crystal.

4. find a download of reporting services for SQL ST. Haven't been successful at this.

Anything I'm missing? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Geoffrey B. Boulden
Twelve/Three Marketing, Inc.
Buffalo, NY
ACT!
SageCRM
GoldMine
SQL Certifications
Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Reporting Conundrum

I expect that any reporting from a SQL database would require you to have the SA password to access the database files.

You could purchase from Sage, the SA password ($1000) or the ACT! Reader ($500).

A better option might be to purchase StoneFieldQuery www.stonefieldquery.com . A trial version can be downloaded. It is a great reporting solution.

Regards
Neil Gilford
ACT! Certified Consultant
Gilford Computer Solutions
neil@gilford.com.au
Copper Elite Contributor

Thanks Neil,

I already bought the sa password. Last Year, Sage halved the prices so sa utility was only $500.

My problem is that Sage does not provide SRS with SQL ST. I need to find a version of SRS that will connect to a SQL ST database. Microsoft offers a free version of SRS but it only connects to EX.

ACT Premium EX is looking better all the time.

I am also very familiar with Stonefield from my 15 yrs as a GoldMine partner. It's pretty nice but I'm really bent on SRS as a report platform.

My preference for SRS is based on as number of things:

1. Reports are web based. I don't have to install anything on a user's PC like I would with ACT, Stonefield, Crystal, etc.

2. Upper Management does not use ACT so getting access to ACT reports will be cumbersome. With SRS, I can automatically e-mail reports to people on a schedule.

3. SRS can create Excel, PDF, text file, html, etc. I find most managers prefer getting their data in Excel format. Probably so they can fudge the numbers and send them along!

4. With SRS, I can connect to other data sources besides ACT and report on data off the accounting system, etc.

So I'll keep trying. Thanks for the suggestions.

I may have to retreat to the ACT report writer or Stonefield.

Geoffrey B. Boulden
Buffalo, NY
ACT!
SageCRM
GoldMine
SQL Certifications
Platinum Elite Contributor

Great suggestion, Neil.  Thanks for helping out!

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Elite Contributor

I have a solution.

1. ACT installs a ...\ACT7 instance on the server (ST version).

2. Get the sa or reader utility

3. Install an instance of SQL Express with advanced services (this includes Reporting Services for SQL Express)

4. In ...\SQLExpress, create a linked server to ...\ACT7

5. Create any number of views in ...\SQLExpress from contact data in ACT7.

6. Report off the views.

Geoffrey B. Boulden
Buffalo, NY
ACT!
SageCRM
GoldMine
SQL Certifications