Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Report scripts

Vad
Copper Contributor

Report scripts

Hi all,

Is it possible to use dialog VB functions as a part of ACT! report script?

I need to ask user one parameter before ACT! report will be created. Is it possible to do using VB script in the ACT! reports? or how it is possible to do?
is anybody know the list of VB functions which are possible to use with report script?
Regards,
Vad
Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Report scripts

Not that I know of. The VB capability used in the ACT! reports is somewhat limited. For example, If Then Else does work but  I've not been able to get Do or For Next to work. I suspect that the main reason is that the VB script snippets are scattered throughout the report template. While there are limits, I have used VB scripts to pass information between the main report body and a subreport and I have even been able to use VB scripts to modify the actual report template XML code while the report was being created. The best I can suggest is to experiment and see if you can make something you want work.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Platinum Elite Contributor

Depending on what you need to input, you might be able to do it before running the report, or you may need to look at Crystal Reports.

What parameter?
Astute Commentator

Hi Roy and Mike,

I have a custom Opportunity report and I want to filter out some records from the report.  I can easily identify these records in an "If" statement, but I don't know what command to execute to tell the report software to skip over this record.

Is there a property that can be set to say "skip"?

Am I correct in assuming that this would be placed in the "OnPrint" event for the detail record?

Is there documentation somewhere, or a book on the report writer, or the events, or the properties of these objects?

Thanks.

Platinum Elite Contributor

There isn't any scripting that would do what you want. Even if it could be done it would be static and you wouldn't be able to change it at runtime. To make any changes to the filtering you would need to edit the template.

What you want can be done with Crystal Reports but the program isn't cheap and it has very significant learning curve. Unless you're already familiar with Crystal Reports your best bet would be to hire having the report template built for you. You would also need a plugin call Crystal Clear Provider to provide a runtime environment for the report.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Astute Commentator

Hi Roy,
Thank you for the advice. 'Static' doesn't bother me, but 'can't be done' does.
They'll just have to ignore the first few pages for now.
Cheers.