Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Report on number of occurrences in a field

B_C

Report on number of occurrences in a field

Is it possible to count the number of occurrences of a specific entry into a field?  In our database, 2009 Premium, each customer is assigned a job type (Type A, Type B, Type C, etc) for which I use a drop-down character field. I am looking to create a report that breaks down the number of each type of entry. 
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Report on number of occurrences in a field

That could be simply done in a report. Use a section to group on that field and place the field in the header or footer of that section and change the properties of the field to (right click, select properties) change it from a detail field to a summary - count field.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
B_C

Use a section to group on that field and place the field in the header

I think that is what I have done.  But I only get a count of fields that have an entry (not empty), not a break down of the different types of entry in that field.  Am I missing something?

You're only getting a global count. You need a section based on that field to cause grouping by the content of the field.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
B_C

Thanks for the quick replies Roy. Sorry to be dense, but how do I make that differentiation?  Currently I have the field to draw from in the detail section and the system field in the page header.  I guess I don't understand how to use a section to group on a field. 

Look in Edit | Define sections
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
B_C

Thanks Roy.  I was overlooking the "add" button. Everything seems to work OK, I've understand now that where you put the fields is important (header v. detail section). 

The only thing left for me to sort out is that the report should only be 1-2 pages but is several because it is leaving/using space to account for each record that contains that entry.  For example, on the printed report, if I have 5 records for job type A, the report will have 5 spaces between it and job type B.

There are a couple of tricks to resolve that problem however some are very esoteric and involve directly editing the template XML code. If you don't have any fields in the detail section, collapse it to .01 inches and that will help.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129