Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply

Report for Notes by a specific user

Copper Super Contributor
Posts: 72
Country: USA

Report for Notes by a specific user

I need to run a report by the end of the day, so not sure I'll get this answered in time. Using Act Prem 2005. (Since I have a deadline, suggesting a product upgrade is not going to useful.)

I'm trying to print a list of all notes that have been entered into the database by a specific user. Finding all of the notes is the easy part, especially utilizing groups. But for each of the three methods before, I'm hitting a roadblock.

First try: Using a group which contains all of the contacts that are in the sphere of consideration, I go to the Notes tab in the Group Detail view and select the specific user. I now have all of the notes by said user. When I select all of the notes, they print (in ~4 or 5pt font) but for some reason, not all of the notes are printing correctly. About a half a page of notes print just fine, then in mid-page, only the Date, Time, Record Manager print. The actual note area is blank.

Second try: I've tried selecting all of the notes and doing a copy/paste into Word or Excel. This works except that the Record Manager of the note doesn't come across. The only information that is pasted is Date, Time, Note.

Third try: Using the Notes/History report (Reports | Notes/Histories) and then selecting the tab for Notes. After selecting the time period and user, the report comes up. The report lists the Contact then a section for Histories and a section for Notes. Even though I've run a Notes report, only the section for History contains data. I'm not able to get this report to actually report the notes only. (There is a separate tab for a History only report.)
Nickel Elite Contributor
Posts: 595
Country: USA

Re: Report for Notes by a specific user

The original release of ACT! 2005, version 7, had serious problems with the reports. Most of the problems were corrected at version 7.0.4 but simply updating to version 7.0.4 did not fix all the reports problem. You then needed to either download a new set of report templates and replace all the old report templates with the new templates or you could create a new database after version 7.0.4 was installed and then copy the new report templates from the new database into the old database. If you have not updated ACT! 2005 and replaced the reports, that could be part of you problem.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Copper Super Contributor
Posts: 72
Country: USA

Re: Report for Notes by a specific user



Royel wrote:
The original release of ACT! 2005, version 7, had serious problems with the reports. Most of the problems were corrected at version 7.0.4 but simply updating to version 7.0.4 did not fix all the reports problem. You then needed to either download a new set of report templates and replace all the old report templates with the new templates or you could create a new database after version 7.0.4 was installed and then copy the new report templates from the new database into the old database. If you have not updated ACT! 2005 and replaced the reports, that could be part of you problem.





We've updated Act to v7.0.4.82 on all the workstations through the typical update process. I'm not sure if the reports were updated, but it sounds like if I'm having this many issues, they've not been. I'll look around for newer copies.

We're having a performance issues with an employee that needs to be addressed quickly. I need to be able to configure a report that can be used to display the information on paper, not just online, and unfortunately it doesn't seem to be working out the way that I want.
Copper Super Contributor
Posts: 72
Country: USA

Re: Report for Notes by a specific user


DaveHenzel wrote:
Third try: Using the Notes/History report (Reports | Notes/Histories) and then selecting the tab for Notes. After selecting the time period and user, the report comes up. The report lists the Contact then a section for Histories and a section for Notes. Even though I've run a Notes report, only the section for History contains data. I'm not able to get this report to actually report the notes only. (There is a separate tab for a History only report.)



Any thoughts on this issue? I tried printing to a second printer in the office to see if it was just a printer specific issue (an HP and a Canon). Again, half way down the page, the Regarding field stops printing, while the Date, Time, Record Manager, and Contact columns still print correctly. It's as if all of the Regards are blank, but I can see the text on screen.
Platinum Elite Contributor
Posts: 14,389
Country: Australia

Re: Report for Notes by a specific user

The updated reports that Roy mentions are available from this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/3mdqt3
 
Back yours up first, of course
Copper Super Contributor
Posts: 72
Country: USA

Re: Report for Notes by a specific user



GLComputing wrote:
The updated reports that Roy mentions are available from this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/3mdqt3
Back yours up first, of course





I was able to get updated copies by going to the Report directory for a database I had created after the final updates. Unfortunately the layouts of the reports aren't quite right for what I'm needing. Each page of the report listed approximately 7 or 8 contacts and then all the notes associated with those contacts. I would have preferred less spacing and more contacts listed per page for a much more concise report. However, the report did display all of the info I was interested.

I also saw that you could edit the reports. Unfortunately, the part that I was needing to edit was a sub-report, and I'm just not that familiar with editing that type of document (and didn't want to teach myself).

I'm wondering if Crystal Reports would have been helpful, but again, another product I don't really want to have to teach myself.

Thanks for the input!
Platinum Elite Contributor
Posts: 14,389
Country: Australia

Re: Report for Notes by a specific user

Dave, you might contact Roy at http://www.techbenders.citymax.com/reportandlabels.html and see if they have a report that is closer to your need... or they can create one for you