Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Report filtering not working

Copper Contributor

Report filtering not working

Hi all, I'm having a Sage 2013 problem that's driving me insane so hopefully someone can help out!

I can pull up a variety of reports, both custom and ones that came pre-loaded, that deal with activities. I will use the basic "Activites" as my example.

The general tab is set to create a report for all contacts, using data managed by all users. The activity tab lets me select again from calls, meetings, to-dos, and custom--then within the customer activity list I can check or uncheck whatever I want. There are two custom activity types I am trying to uncheck to not include. It appears to be successful until I run the report--and those two activity types are included in the report every time! But when I check my filter settings they appear to be just fine and should produce a correct report in theory.

Any ideas?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Report filtering not working

I would first check to see how the custom activities were created, namely did you change the default results to identify the custom activity.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Hi Roy, I'm not sure I entirely understand what you're talking about. Do you mean that when a custom activity is created (schedule-->other-->one of the custom activities versus hitting the quick "Meeting" button but then changing the activity type there to a custom activity)?

Or if you're referring to the custom report itself, I have been able to successfully define the filters for the general tab, but the filters for the activity tab are only saving the date range, not the activities filter. I can save the custom report to filter out two types of activities, but when I pull it up to run the report those two types are still checked. When I manually uncheck them on this screen they will still show up on the report.

I was referring to when the custom activity was originally created. The default results are completed and not completed. Thse need to edited to make the results specific to the custom activity.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

To make sure I'm following--each custom activity needs to have the default result to be something besides Completed/Not Completed in order for the report filters to work?

We had been leaving completed/not completed as the default result for our custom activities as they fit, but can certainly change the name to "Finished/Not Finished" and the like.

Or...right now all of our custom activity types are set with a default result of "Completed." Should these be set with a default of "Not Completed" in order to report correctly? We had never noticed an issue (ie, scheduling a custom activity appears on a user's calendars as not complete until we deliberately check the box to clear it) before.

Thanks so much for your help on this, I'm clearly struggling with this basic piece of Act!

They need to be specific to the custom activity. History tracks by the results and if all the custom activities have the same results there can be no tracking of the results. I don't know if this causes problems with the activities reports but it certainly does with the history reports.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

I have edited the results for the custom activities to basically be "Custom Activity Completed" vs the generic "Completed."

However this hasn't helped on the activity report filter. I can still deselect a type of custom activity to be excluded from the report, but the report generates showing the type of activity I deselected.

That's still generic for the results. For example if you added a custom activity for Cold Call you would want the results to read something like Cold Call Completed or Cold Call Not Completed.

As I stated I didn't know if it would make a difference for an activties report but it's critical for any history report. To know for sure you would need to disable all your present custom activities and create new ones that have proper results and see if you have the same problem.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Sorry I wasn't clear; I meant that example to show as filler. For my "annual review" custom activity, I changed it to "Annual Review Completed/Annual Review Not Completed." The custom activity of "Product Maturity" was set to "Project Maturity Completed/Project Maturity Not Completed." Both of these to no avail with the filter.

When you say that having the different result names is the only way you can get your history report to work, what area does that impact? My history report filters only allow me to choose history, emails, or attachments, not any specific results.
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi Roy, I too am playing with custom fields under activities. All these pertain to the "results" of a cleared activity. It does appear under results in the history of the contact; however, when I try to include a listing of those results in a revised Activity report nothing shows up. I select a field to include, pull "Results" from the Contact History list of fields and nothing shows. I am running ACT! 2013 version 15.1.108 & Windows 7 Pro.

Never mind -- I just realized I had not selected History in my Activities report, duh!