Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Report Designer - Locating Fields

Report Designer - Locating Fields

While in Report Designer I see a field "# of Employees".  How do I go about finding the location of this field?  There is another one that says "Division" and I can't seem to find it either.  After looking in the company detail view, I tried looking under Tools, Define Fields, but there wasn't anything there to help in locating it.  I ask because when I run the report, there is never a number in the "# of Employees" blank.  I was trying to determine where it was pulling the information from.  Is it even possible to determine the location of fields?  I was trying to create a simple report with just the company name, then a list of contacts for that company and a list of divisions for that company.  I thought maybe the Division field would pull from the division tab of the company detail view. 

Brittne

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Report Designer - Locating Fields

Are you referring to a standard report? Have you modified the template?

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Yes, I was editing the Company Comprehensive report, deleting fields that I didn't want.  Those two fields were already on the report.

Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Those fields are part of your database and if there isn't anything shown in the report it's because you didn't enter anything in those fields. In the standard company layout the fields are shown in the company profile tab. 

A word of caution about trying to create a new report template by taking a complex template and deleting fields. Most report template have hidden fields and computed fields that use embeded Visual Basic script programming. Modifying a complex report template without first fully reverse engineering the template to find the hidden fields and embedded code often results in an unworkable report template.

There is a third party book with comprehensive training information on the ACT! reports, here is the link.

https://www.packtpub.com/sage-act-2011-dashboard-and-report-cookbook/book

Full disclusure I wrote the reports chapters of the book.  The report chapters work for all version of the ACT! program since ACT! 2007.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thanks!