Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Renamed Template Files

Renamed Template Files

I am having an odd issue that I'm hoping someone can help me with.

I manage a small network of users of Act Premium 2011. We use network sync and have 8 users. We rely heavily upon the document template files to quote out equipment. To make the quoting process as easy as possible for my sales reps, I have created a different template for each product and model that we produce. This ends up being about 40ish templates. Also to make it as easy as possible for my reps, I have put all of these templates in a folder inside of the templates folder.

We have begun to see a issue where the names of the template files are getting renamed. An example of this is where the file "Proposal Template 2011.adt" becomes "Proposal Template 2011-02-02 11-04-08.adt". It seems that the additinoal numbers is a date stamp. The question is where is it coming from?

For example, today I deleted all templates from the template folder. Replaced them with a backup version. Also deleted the templates on my local machine and replaced with the same backup, so our template folders we identical. Then I syncronized. I looked in the folder and all the template names had been changed.

The other odd thing abou this, is a folder called "Propos~1" keeps appearing INSIDE the "Proposal" folder on the server. Full path would look like this "C:\...\ACT for Windows 11\Database\Templates\Proposal\Propos~1". This is where the abnormal file names reside. But no matter how many times I delete this folder, it reappears after a sync.

Does anyone have any clue what this is all about? Seems to be related to syncronization and was just noticed today.

Thanks for the help.

Re: Renamed Template Files

bump

Platinum Elite Contributor

I suspect som issues with the operating system. Propos~1 is the true file name not the long file name. The operating system masks the true fiel name and displays the long file name. For some reason it's showing the true file name.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

I'm glad someone else has reported this.  I have it too - exactly the same, template files have date information appended to their filename - eg 'Pro Motorsport 2010 2010-11-30 16-42-08.tpl'.

I also have the same but worse problem with layout files:  Firstly, we use PenPower's Worldcard system to scan in business cards and record contact information.  Worldcard creates a modified contact layout with an extra tab for the card image information.  The layout is automatically named as some like Mylayout WorldCard.cly.  Over time that the gets appended with a date/time as above.  Worse, possibly due to to a re-installation of WordCard on another user's machine, that then generated layouts of the type 'Mylayout WorldCard datetime WorldCard date/time.cly'.  I even have had some with three or four date/time appendages. I keep deleting all the extra layouts (we've had up to 30-40 variants), and do the same with remote users, to try and stop the replication, but I can't seem to eradicate the problem.

I should point out that we work in a group with remote databases synching up to a server hosted main database.  At the moment we're running ACT 2008 Premium under XP/Office 2003, but have just bought the 2011 upgrade in preparation for our Windows 7/Office 10 upgrade.  The proliferation of variants of layout files in particular is causing chaos.  yet I haven't heard of anyone else with this problem....  What IS the mechanism that causes this to happen, and HOW can I stop it?  Will ACT 2011 do anything to help?

Bronze Super Contributor

Hi Svoldbaek,

This KB24032 titled "Template Files Being Renamed After Synchronization" might be what you're looking for.

Ben.

thanks for the input ben, but i'm running 2011 (ver 13), and niether of those KB articles apply to ver 13. i wish they did, believe me.

Roy: I'm kinda feeling that it's related to a local (remote) issue as well. Do you have any other insight?

Copper Contributor

With my setup and my problems I suspect remote databases too.  Could it be that, if you don't also eradicate all the dated files from the remotes as well as the main db, then they just replicate back up to the server?

Unfortunately, Ben's KB article, which I worked through this morning, didn't sort my problem.  I cleaned out all the dated layout files and have gained half a dozen new ones within three hours, all of which including the new undated ones, are now dated again.

I have tried to delete all "offending" files from remote computers before a sync. in the end it didn't help.

Copper Contributor

I was wondering if was a systems issue with XP but I guess you're not on XP if you're running v 2011?

we are mixed. most of the remote databases are on Win 7 machines while the server is an XP box. the odd thing is that it has been operating fine for months. this issue just poped up outta nowhere this week.