I have a Sales Custom Field with a Drop Down for Sales Reps list in ACT 2006 Premium For Work-groups and as I was sifting through the database I noticed that there are a ton of contact records with Sales Reps that are no longer employed with the company liked to them. I asked owner of the company if that was by choice, and he said "NO. I wish I could get rid of them, but I was told that if we delete the old Sales Reps from the Drop Down List, if will break the "Links" of the contacts". Is this true? What "Links" exactly are going to break and why? Is there a way around it?
You have not provided enough info to determine how these contacts are being linked?
Linking Contact records to Company records can only be done via the Company Field. No other field is involved in this equation. So removing the old reps should not break a link in this scenario.
Static Membership for Companies and/or Groups can be done by manually assigning the contacts you desire. So no field is involved in this equation. So removing the old reps should not break a link in this scenario.
Dynamic Membership for Companies and/or Groups can be done with a field(s) query. For example all contacts who's Sales Rep field equals Joe Smith will be added to the Joe Smith Group.
Dynamic membership can be configured by going to the Company or Group Detail screen.
Then selecting the corresponding Company or Group.
Click the Contacts Tab (next to Notes, History, etc)
Click the Add/Remove Contacts Button
Click the Edit Criteria Button.
Create/modify/view your query for the dynamic assignment.
If contacts have been added to a company using a criteria, and that criteria is based on the Sales Rep in the drop down, then those members will no longer belong to the company when that rep has been deleted since the criteria can no longer be followed. If the contacts had been linked normally using the eclipse next to Company name, then there will not be any links broken.
Sorry I couldn't give more information, but I am relatively new to ACT! and I inherited this thing. The company has been using ACT! for 15+ years and has gone through a lot of upgrades. I on the other hand have been here 4 months and now have to figure out how to fix all that is broken. What I have done is install ACT!10R2 on a separate server, move a copy of the database over for testing, convert it to the new version of ACT! and I did an Advanced Look-up for one of the sales reps. and did a Field Replace of that rep with a different rep, and then I deleted the old rep. I do not see any problems with the contacts that I made the changes to, so maybe the person was misinformed or just didn't understand how to get rid of the old sales reps.
This is a great place to get up to speed quickly on ACT!. Thank you for posting. I am sure you'll find that everyone is very helpful and we encourage you to ask any and all questions since I am sure that there are many more people out there that have similar inquiries