Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Removing Contacts (not deleting) -- Exporting them to a Backup or new database?

Removing Contacts (not deleting) -- Exporting them to a Backup or new database?

Our database has 20 odd thousand contacts in it.  We used to have 3 territories and we have recently downsized to just one.  I would like to be able to remove the contacts that are outside of our territory and either have them saved somewhere as a backup that we could access if we had to or even export them to their own database.  Is there an easy way to do this? 

Thanks!
Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Removing Contacts (not deleting) -- Exporting them to a Backup or new database?

One of the easiest ways to do what you want is to save a copy of your database (File | Save Copy As | make a copy of the entire database and then delete out of your working copy all the contacts that you don't want. If you create a lookup of those contacts first, you can delete the entire lookup at the same time.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Removing Contacts (not deleting) -- Exporting them to a Backup or new database?

Another option... if you don't want to have the current contacts in the archive, is to:

Create a new database by Save Empty Copy.
Then lookup the ones you don't want, export them to the new database and then delete them

Always backup the database first before this type of operation in case of a mistake.
Copper Super Contributor

GLComputing wrote:
Create a new database by Save Empty Copy.

How do you do a Save Empty Copy? Is it only for 2006, 2007 or 2008?
Platinum Elite Contributor

Try this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/25ymv2

Always good to check the KB first and post your ACT! version

Ok, I just got remote access to the server (YEAH!).  I created an empty copy of the database following the directions from KB.  However, I'm now confused as the new copy doesn't have the custom field I had entered into the old database earlier in the week (also created by following the directions in KB).  I was under the assumption that the empty copy meant it was copying my layout and whatnot of the old database.  Should I just add the field in and then continue with my exporting or do I need to do something differently?  As for the exporting of data, can I go straight from one database to the other or do I have to export into excel then import as a csv?

Thanks.
Nickel Elite Contributor

It includes the database structure but not the custom layouts. You can copy them from the layouts directory of the old database to the new one.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com