Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply

Remote user accidently deleted a contact

Copper Contributor
Posts: 69
Country: UK

Remote user accidently deleted a contact

We're running ACT Premium 2008 with a dozen or so active users.  We have a user on a remote database who accidently deleted a contact record complete with a long chain of history and attached emails (yes he did ignore the warning).  We stopped his synchronisation, so that the deletion has not gone through to the main database nor, obviously, to other remotes.

 

To restore from the main database backup would undo more work by other users than we would gain by recovering the contact - and anyway, the contact data is still there at the moment.

 

So to recover the contact data, the obvious solution is to cut him a new remote database from the Main but, with a large database and our server setup, this would take some time.   I just wondered if any one had a smart way of getting that single lost contact data back down to the user's remote database - perhaps a one-way synchronise, or some method involving copying the contact data (including history, which seems the hard bit) to a new user prior to a full synchronise......  Just not sure if it is possible.

 

Any advice would be most gratefully received!

 

Andy

Copper Contributor
Posts: 172
Country: USA

Re: Remote user accidently deleted a contact

I would say the remote user should have read -- then re-read the warning screen before the delete as there is a warning that you cant recover after delete -- Put the remote user permissions to "READ ONLY" --- or even -- "DONT TOUCH" -- Good Luck
Copper Contributor
Posts: 172
Country: USA

Re: Remote user accidently deleted a contact

How about rename the DB Backup -- then open it .. Manually find the contact and write the info down....then close the backup - and open the regular DB --- transpose the info  

 

Copper Contributor
Posts: 172
Country: USA

Re: Remote user accidently deleted a contact

Oh - you may have a lot of history .....

Get the person who deleted the contact to manually re-enter the history on there time off

Copper Contributor Kez
Copper Contributor
Posts: 11
Country: Australia

Re: Remote user accidently deleted a contact

I've had a client do the exact same thing, only with about 2000 contacts. The proper thing to do is a new RDB, ship it to him on a DVD/CD or FTP it to him. That or you can get a third party tool to export the contact details/history/activites/opps to a CSV file, then restore it after he's done a sync, which is also a clean method.

 

One thing I have done before is something a client and I tried as were curious. They had a VSS backup from the night before that I got them to restore over the top of the existing database. What I outline below has worked for me but I'd be very cautious about doing it.

 

Get everyone to log out and stop using it completely (Don't even open ACT on any machines, not even the server). Perform a VSS backup of the database how it is now. Get the remote user to perform a sync, this will strip the contact out of the main database. After the sync is performed, disable the sync service. Overwrite your existing ACT! server database from the fresh VSS backup you made. Open up ACT! on the server, run a database check and repair. Then open up the contact that they previously deleted, change a minor detail in the record (ie. Phone number). Get them to perform a sync, this will bring down the record again to their database. It's the quickest thing to do from the server side and you don't have to involve the client, however you're bound to lose changes he has made since his last sync.

Copper Contributor
Posts: 52
Country: USA

Re: Remote user accidently deleted a contact

I had a remote user delete a few contacts...after reading this thread I wasn't too optimistic but ......

 

the remote user had not yet sync'ed so I created a new data base and exported the records in question from the main database to the new data base.  The remote user then sync'ed and sure enough the records disappeared.   I then exported the records from the new data base I had just created into the main data base.   All appears to be recovered.

 

(I am also changing my scheduled backups to daily from weekly)