Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Remote sync issues

Remote sync issues

[ Edited ]

Ok, so Sage support hours thoroughly suck.  I'm trying to deploy a customer installation over at weekend in Seattle, and support hours are conveniently closed by 4:30 pm our time M-F.  I work a normal job, which means I won't be able to help my customer get this done, but I figured I would post this question with hopes of a reply that will aid the folks that will be coming out during the week to wrap this up.

I've installed the ACT 10.0.1.199 database on an SBS2003 server.  First off, after installing ACT, for whatever reason, DHCP ceased to work without any errors in the event logs, etc.  For WHATEVER reason, it doesn't make sense, but it's happened twice now.  Last weekend I ended up reloading the O/S on the server, but installing ACT broke DHCP yet again.  I went ahead and used my router for DHCP as a workaround, so my question doesn't concern this particular issue, it just goes to prove to me that ACT has a tendency to suck already.

So I got the server up and running, and made it the parent, enabled sync, as the company will be syncing over the internet with our server.  Built the sync set, no problem, and created the remote database after editing C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ACT\ACT For Windows 10\syncConfigFile.xml with the server name and database name.  Copied the RDB over the network to the remote, restored it, verified the sync server settings.

Keep in mind, I've created the RDB with Windows Server 2003, and I'm restoring with Vista Ultimate.  So after restoring the database, and trying to sync for the first time, I get an error

"unable to aquire sync server object....... access to the path c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\ACT\ACT For Windows 10\syncConfigFile.xml"

Thing is, Vista doesn't use that path, more like c:\users\... or more correctly c:\programdata\ACT...  I also tried creating the remote database from a Vista workstation that is connected directly to the database over a file share, logged in as admin, but don't have access to folders on the server for some reason, even though the user logged in has full control over those folders.  Frustrating to say the least.  Simple project, and I'm going to have to hand it off.

Message Edited by xaneth on 07-19-2008 04:45 PM

Re: Remote sync issues

[ Edited ]

Wow, looks like the forum is dead over the weekend as well.  I noticed in an article here (http://tinyurl.com/5w2hce), that Vista Home Basic and Premium have to be set up for Network Sync.  Is this the case for Ultimate as well?  What is the workaround for this issue?  It points to this article (http://tinyurl.com/5pk5ah) which shows how to set up Network Sync to work across the internet.

Message Edited by xaneth on 07-19-2008 10:30 PM

Also, to note, the documentation at http://tinyurl.com/5w2hce says:

1. Browse to the ACT Internet Sync folder for ACT! (default location is C:\Program Files\ACT\ACT for Windows\ACT Internet Sync\).
  2. Right-click SyncConfigFile.xml, and then click Edit from the shortcut menu. The .xml file opens in Notepad:"

However the documentation at http://tinyurl.com/6cf9w8 indicates that the path should be C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ACT\ACT for Windows 10\ACT Internet Sync\. 

Which is correct?

Versions are as follows:

ACT! by Sage Premium 2008 (10.0) (ST Edition) Version 10.0.1.199

Not sure how to tell you the version of ACT Internet Sync, but it came on the same CD that ACT! by Sage Premium 2008 (10.0) (ST Edition) Version 10.0.1.199 was on.

Running it on SBS2003 SP2 all updates, and also running Sharepoint, no Exchange.

Nickel Contributor

Your DHCP issue is arcane to me, but I may be able to assist with the Windows 2003 issue.

Firstly when you were on the Win 2K3 server cutting the RDB's, did you save them to the local hard drive of the server before copying them to a transport media?
I ask because one time I encountered a pesky problem with a customer's server when I was cutting RDB on it, where I repeatedly encountered permission issues whenever I saved the RDB's to the server drive and then copied them to my portable hard drive for deployment. When I saved the RDB's directly to the portable drive, this issue went away.

What port were you using for the network sync service? Did you check to see if it's running? Have you tried other ports?

If you ran all ACT patches, was the network sync service running at the time? If so, stop and restart that service, and then try syncing again.

And finally, have you tried disabling network sync, and using the application sync within the ACT program, with ACT running?

I don't mean any insult by this next question, but I am assuming the W2K3 firewall is not enabled, or that there is no 3rd party firewall installed.

Ken Quigley, BA, MCSE, ACC, APT
Toronto, Ontario
www.keystroke.ca

[ Edited ]

kquigley wrote:

Your DHCP issue is arcane to me, but I may be able to assist with the Windows 2003 issue.

Firstly when you were on the Win 2K3 server cutting the RDB's, did you save them to the local hard drive of the server before copying them to a transport media?
I ask because one time I encountered a pesky problem with a customer's server when I was cutting RDB on it, where I repeatedly encountered permission issues whenever I saved the RDB's to the server drive and then copied them to my portable hard drive for deployment. When I saved the RDB's directly to the portable drive, this issue went away.

What port were you using for the network sync service? Did you check to see if it's running? Have you tried other ports?

If you ran all ACT patches, was the network sync service running at the time? If so, stop and restart that service, and then try syncing again.

And finally, have you tried disabling network sync, and using the application sync within the ACT program, with ACT running?

I don't mean any insult by this next question, but I am assuming the W2K3 firewall is not enabled, or that there is no 3rd party firewall installed.

Thanks for the reply kquigley.  I am cutting the RDB's direct to D:\ACT on the server.  Didn't have any permission issues doing so.  That folder is shared out so the clients can pull it over directly.  This is, in fact, the same folder that hosts the database we are using, so there is one workstation that is not mobile that maps to that share and opens the database directly across the network.

I have not yet tried using network sync, which is why I ask if it is necessary for Ultimate.  I know the KB articles said that it has to be done for Home Basic and Premium, but no mention of Ultimate.  As for ACT patches, I checked for updates by going to Help, Check for Updates, and it's telling me I'm running the latest version 10.0.1.199.  Not sure where to go to check for updates to either network sync or internet sync.  Have not tried the application sync yet either.  When I set up one of the RDB's I noticed the port that network sync wanted to use, 65100, so I opened that port on the firewall.

No firewalls Smiley Happy  Only firewall is our hardware firewall on the edge of the network.

Message Edited by xaneth on 07-20-2008 10:09 AM
Message Edited by xaneth on 07-20-2008 10:10 AM
Nickel Contributor

OK, we'll get to the bottom of this.

Firstly, it's important to get the terminology straight so we communicate effectively. "Application Sync" is what is used from within the ACT program that does not require the additional installation of Network Sync or Internet Sync.

Secondly, within the ACT program on the ACT Server, have you checked that under "Tools", "Synchronize" that you have "Accept Incoming Syncs" enabled". I'm guessing you have done this, but to save time I have to ask.
(BTW, the workstations with the RDB do not need the 65100 port opened as sync connections are initiated from inside Windows firewall, and Windows firewall only controls incoming traffic.)

Thirdly, Windows Firewall is disabled by default on the Server, so I am assuming that this has not been Enabled, and if so, that the 65100 port has been opened - although you should always leave W2K3 Firewall disabled.

Fourthly, from the workstation that you've setup the RDB, please check the "connection" information (tools\sync panel\connection info). I'm assuming iyou have "network (inside firewall)" selected, and that the IP address of the server is listed in the top field, and the port 65100 listed in the bottom. If you have the server's hostname instead of its IP address, please change that to IP address.
Now let's presume for testing purposes that the IP address of the server is "192.168.0.2". Launch a browser on the workstation and enter the following address http://192.168.0.2:65100.

If you have ACT on the server open, and you have "Accept incoming syncs" turned on, then you should see the following text come up in your browser:

Act.Framework.Synchronization.Remoting.SecureChannel.SecureRemotingException: Server requires a secure connection for this client at Act.Framework.Synchronization.Remoting.SecureChannel.SecureServerChannelSink.ProcessMessage(IServerChannelSinkStack sinkStack, IMessage requestMsg, ITransportHeaders requestHeaders, Stream requestStream, IMessage& responseMsg, ITransportHeaders& responseHeaders, Stream& responseStream) at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Http.HttpServerTransportSink.ServiceRequest(Object state) at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.SocketHandler.ProcessRequestNow()

If you do not see the above text, then please get back to me and we'll take another run at this problem.

Toronto, Ontario
www.keystroke.ca

kquigley wrote:

OK, we'll get to the bottom of this.

Firstly, it's important to get the terminology straight so we communicate effectively. "Application Sync" is what is used from within the ACT program that does not require the additional installation of Network Sync or Internet Sync.

Secondly, within the ACT program on the ACT Server, have you checked that under "Tools", "Synchronize" that you have "Accept Incoming Syncs" enabled". I'm guessing you have done this, but to save time I have to ask.
(BTW, the workstations with the RDB do not need the 65100 port opened as sync connections are initiated from inside Windows firewall, and Windows firewall only controls incoming traffic.)

Thirdly, Windows Firewall is disabled by default on the Server, so I am assuming that this has not been Enabled, and if so, that the 65100 port has been opened - although you should always leave W2K3 Firewall disabled.

Fourthly, from the workstation that you've setup the RDB, please check the "connection" information (tools\sync panel\connection info). I'm assuming iyou have "network (inside firewall)" selected, and that the IP address of the server is listed in the top field, and the port 65100 listed in the bottom. If you have the server's hostname instead of its IP address, please change that to IP address.
Now let's presume for testing purposes that the IP address of the server is "192.168.0.2". Launch a browser on the workstation and enter the following address http://192.168.0.2:65100.

If you have ACT on the server open, and you have "Accept incoming syncs" turned on, then you should see the following text come up in your browser:

Act.Framework.Synchronization.Remoting.SecureChannel.SecureRemotingException: Server requires a secure connection for this client at Act.Framework.Synchronization.Remoting.SecureChannel.SecureServerChannelSink.ProcessMessage(IServerChannelSinkStack sinkStack, IMessage requestMsg, ITransportHeaders requestHeaders, Stream requestStream, IMessage& responseMsg, ITransportHeaders& responseHeaders, Stream& responseStream) at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Http.HttpServerTransportSink.ServiceRequest(Object state) at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.SocketHandler.ProcessRequestNow()

If you do not see the above text, then please get back to me and we'll take another run at this problem.

Thanks again for the reply.  All of my W2K3 servers have firewall disabled, it's the only way I work with servers, as I have an edge firewall on all of my networks, therefore, no need to block ports on the servers/workstations themselves, unless of course the workstation is a remote system (laptop), in which case I configure the firewall appropriately.

Second, I'm not using network sync, I'm trying to enable internet sync, as this is the mode I want it to work.  I've got three laptops that are constantly in the field and they need to sync over the net.  Yes, the server is set to accept incoming sync.  I've also verified my client connection info, and it is pointing to my server at http://server.mydomain.com/ActInternetSync.  I'm able to get through most of the RDB, but when I go to sync, I get the error:

"unable to aquire sync server object....... access to the path c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\ACT\ACT For Windows 10\syncConfigFile.xml"

The workstation (Vista) is looking for the syncConfigFile.xml in the wrong place!  It should be looking for it in c:\programdata\ACT...

To note, I'm not all that familiar with ACT, however, I've used such products as Goldmine, and Goldmine uses sync profiles.  In that profile, clients can sync either over the internet OR over the LAN.  Is this not possible in ACT?  I'm only seeing one or the other option.  Again, in one of the KB articles, it says that:

IMPORTANT NOTE: ACT! 2008 Internet Synchronization is not compatible with Microsoft Windows Vista® Home Basic and Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium. Users wishing to sync contact data when using Windows Vista Home Basic and Windows Vista Home Premium must sync via Network Sync over the Internet. Please refer to the following Knowledge Base Article for steps on how to setup Network Synchronization across the internet:

Title: How To Use the ACT! Network Sync Service Across the Internet
    Answer ID: 17536

So does this also hold true for Vista Ultimate?  Do I have to set up network sync over internet sync, and as you mentioned, sync to http://mypublicipaddress:65100?
Nickel Contributor

OK, let's try the next few steps.

- Close ACT on the Server (this will eliminate any conflicts with Application Sync).

- Uninstall Internet Sync, and install Network Sync. Contrary to what you may have gathered from the confusing name, "Network Sync" works perfectly across the Internet, and it's the one I use almost exclusively in the field with customers and for my own purposes.

The "Internet Sync" Application is not required and you should quickly erase the use of it from your memory.

- Once Network sync is installed, and launched, configure it for the appropriate database and a different port (try 65105)

- Start the network sync service from within the Network Sync Application (trying to start it from within the "services.msc" is problematic).

- Configure your router/firewall to forward port 65105 to the IP address of your server. Lets not use the default anymore in the unlikely event it is the problem (besides using default public ports should be avoided when possible anyway).

- If you do not have a Static IP Address for your router, use a dynamic DNS service like DNS2GO to get a dynamic hostname.

- Now test the sync from both inside and outside the firewall, starting with the inside. From the "manage connection info" section of the Sync panel of your remote user, ensure that the checkbox for "Prompt me for which address to use each time I synchronize manaually" is, in fact, checked. Then from inside the firewall, try to sync with the server using the local IP address of the server.

- if this succeeds, try from outside the firewall.

- if this fails, then you have a port forwarding issue.

I have configured many computers using Vista Home Premium to sync using Network Sync, so I doubt your problem is related to the absence of Vista Ultimate, although your research on the problem with Internet Sync and Vista Basic/Premium was certainly useful.

Also, when using Vista (regardless of the version), I'd suggest you disable the User Access Control. This is unrelated to the problem at hand, but is worth doing just to increase the joys and decrease the frustrations of Vista.

Good luck.

Toronto, Ontario
www.keystroke.ca