09-14-2009 07:27 AM
Dear Forum members
Initially an apology if this is the wrong forum.
I have been asked by two colleagues if I can help them set up their IT infrastructure such that they can share a copy of ACT.
They both work from home, person A will have the database on his workstation and person B will work autonomously and synchronise with the person A’s on a weekly basis.
Person A will then send person B a copy of the data file to be installed on their machine and then the cycle repeats.
Now I am familiar with the IT side (connecting the PC’s, port forwarding on the router etc) but a stranger to ACT.
1) Is this a sensible way to do things
2) My plan was to port forward via port 3389 (RDC). Is there a better one
3) Does anyone have or is there a data sheet on setting this up.
Their version of ACT is Premium 2009 (11) Update 184.108.40.206 with a two user licence
Any guidance would be appreciated
09-15-2009 06:21 AM
You have a couple options
1. Internet Sync - Involves installing IIS on the host computer and opening port assigned in IIS.
2. Network Sync over the internet - Setup port forwarding using port assigned in network sync service.
3. Setup a VPN and use Network Sync.
I personally would setup Network Sync over the internet.