Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Remote database unable to sync - Premium 2007 - log file attached.

Remote database unable to sync - Premium 2007 - log file attached.

I have copied below the sync log from one of my sales guys. He only brought this to my attention today. What has happened to stop his ability to sync? It just failed one day 2 weeks ago, and now he has 2 week's of data we cannot get back onto our main DB. He's in his office on our LAN when this happens. You can see the last good session, followed by the first bad session and it has been this way ever since. Any help will be much appreciated. ======== SYNC SESSION - 3/11/2008 4:04:01 PM ======== [ Info | 3/11/2008 4:04:01 PM ]Message: Sync remote client created. [ Info | 3/11/2008 4:04:16 PM ]Message: Checking if schema changes are available for sync. [ Info | 3/11/2008 4:04:18 PM ]Message: Client establishing synchronization with server database: CUSTOMER [ Error | 3/11/2008 4:04:18 PM ]Message: Failed to synchronize with the server. Server Error Description: .RDB has already been unpacked and synced at least once. Please recreate remote database or restore a backed up copy. ======== SYNC SESSION - 3/11/2008 1:04:00 PM ======== [ Info | 3/11/2008 1:04:00 PM ]Message: Sync remote client created. [ Info | 3/11/2008 1:04:00 PM ]Message: Checking if schema changes are available for sync. [ Info | 3/11/2008 1:04:01 PM ]Message: Client establishing synchronization with server database: CUSTOMER [ Info | 3/11/2008 1:04:03 PM ]Message: Initial Handshake completed. [ Info | 3/11/2008 1:04:03 PM ]Message: Checking if data changes are available for sync. [ Info | 3/11/2008 1:04:06 PM ]Message: Client initialized database send session: 131 [ Info | 3/11/2008 1:04:08 PM ]Message: Synchronization completion done. [ Info | 3/11/2008 1:04:08 PM ]Message: Synchronization has completed.
Copper Contributor

Re: Remote database unable to sync - Premium 2007 - log file attached.

For a better understanding of the problem, it would help if you clearly indicate
- OS of both the publisher pc and of the client pc
- Exact version of Act (publisher pc)
- Exact version of Act (client pc)

Some of these issues have a background of clients running another version (or subversion) of the sofware then the publisher pc.
Also: doing an complete integrety check on your publisher pc, and generating a new RDB and syncing this one most of the time solves the problem....

Please share the above additional info and we'll think along! Smiley Happy

Kind regards,

Rene van der Velde
aka "The Dutch Betatester"

Kind regards,

Rene van der Velde
The Netherlands
aka 'The Dutch Betatester'

Both the host and remote machines are running Act 2007 Premium for Workgroups (AKA Ver 9.0.1.162 hotfix) so there's no issue of version crossing. The remote machine is a fully patched XPPRO SP2, the host is Win Server 2K3. This machine is one of 3 laptops used by sales personnel, and the only one having any trouble synchronizing. All other users are having no problems at all, so I know the problem is with this one laptop. If it helps any, the laptop has been having continuous trouble with its SQL services not starting without some coaxing and manual service restarts. It has also needed its .pad file rebuilt a couple of times in the last month just to get it to open - though once this is done would open and synchronize just fine. I've not tried it to fix this issue. Worth a shot?
Copper Elite Contributor

Are you using the same remote database created for another machine in this computer
your error says

Server Error Description: .RDB has already been unpacked and synced at least once. Please recreate remote database or restore a backed up copy

for a better understanding i have attached an artilce in this link : online kb

I think the last post answered the issue exactly - the computer in question did change its name. I'll change it back, re-sync, then go from there. Many thanks!

Okay, I tried re-naming the computer back to what it had been as the article suggested, and it did not work. In fact it corrupted the *.pad file for the database and THAT had to be rebuilt just for me to open the DB on the remote machine. Now it's back to the same error again about the *.rdb file being already unpacked and I cannot get a sync. I'm going on vacation for a week, so my solution of last resort is to nuke Act on that machine, and start over. The problem is this user has now 3 weeks of updated contact data and traveling notes that will be lost.

Just a thought re retaining history.  You could try this:  Do a lookup on the remote DB for all changed contacts, then EXPORT to the parent DB.  You would need to be able to access the parent DB from the machine hosting the remote DB (you could always backup & restore it on the parent server).  You would then need to scan for duplicates & merge if necessary.  Bit of work but better than losing history.

Further to my post.  Another post in the forum mentions Importing, which is probably a better idea.  See KB 13910 for detailed instructions.
Copper Elite Contributor

I've already nuked the offending machine - though I've backed up the remote database so I can try some of the merge suggestions, but I think ultimately what caused the issue was the SQL server instance being hosed by recent MS updates. As I said in earlier posts, the *.pad file kept getting scrambled, preventing the database from opening at all, and the SQL services were often failing, probably further corrupting things. Thanks for the posts, I will certainly bear this all in mind, but I've done a clean re-install and created a new sync set to just start over.