Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Remote database size limit

Loyal Listener

Remote database size limit

My client has been running happily with Premium ST 10.0.2.191 Hotfix 1 for a while with a database of 250K+ contacts and size of 2541.31 (per actdiag), one of his remote locations had not been used for a couple of months, so I re-created a new remote database for it, with  the only sync set of 100% contacts and users, the dtabase has been restored and has only 190K contacts and size of 1904.13.

I double checked by running DB Check repair re-index in ActDiag. 

Have I hit some sort of limit?

I wondered if it was something to do with duplicates but when I ran scan for duplicates on Contact Phone Address 1, it failed with "Error retrievig Contact Keys"

Ideads welcome

Paul M Tate

TIA

Paul M Tate
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Remote database size limit

The database size limit for ACT! 10 is 4GB (no limit with Premium ST)

So, the publisher has 250K contacts and the remote has 190K?

Could it be Private records? Are you logging into both versions as the same ACT! user to check?

Loyal Listener

GLComputing wrote:

The database size limit for ACT! 10 is 4GB (no limit with Premium ST)

So, the publisher has 250K contacts and the remote has 190K?

Could it be Private records? Are you logging into both versions as the same ACT! user to check?

That's what I thought

Yes

No private records, same user at both sites

TIA

Paul M Tate
Bronze Elite Contributor

If you have attachments in ACT! try and create a remote database excluding any attachments and see if that will restore

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Loyal Listener

My clients way of working does not normally save attachments in the database, checking the attachments folder and there is only 4mb of data, most in one ppt file, so do not think this is the problem.
TIA

Paul M Tate

When creating the sync set, on the screen "Select Contacts" (which I assume you selected all), how many contacts did it say it can sync?
Loyal Listener

it says all of them.

One thing I did to test options was to create a backup of the main database, restore it to a new database and then create a new remote database for synching, when I restored this to a new machine the whole contact list was present.

Now I need to see if this process would maintain the existing remote databases if I restored over the top of the main database? Thus saving me the hassle of sending 2gb databases across Europe.

TIA

Paul M Tate

I don't think it will work as the new Parent database would have a different unique ID.

Also, if there has been something odd in the database causing a syn issue, it's always better practice to re-cut all of the remotes.

2GB... this is the size of the database or after it has been zipped to RDB? That's pretty big for a database with no attachments. do all the remote users need all the records?

BTW: One correction to my comment above... even with Premium ST, the remotes will still have a limit of 4GB as the ST engine is only used on server operating systems (Windows 2003/2008).

Loyal Listener

If I restored the backup over the top of the existing db would that create a new ID?

Probably agree, it is just the hassle factor of rolling out the new databases, takes days and stops people working at the wrong times.

The database is approaching the 4gb limits so this will require soem thought, I think there is a lot of redundant data in there, the remote users need all the data, three of them are the same person working in three different countries.

Thanks

TIA

Paul M Tate

pmtate wrote:

If I restored the backup over the top of the existing db would that create a new ID?

I believe so... I guess you could try it and see.

Probably agree, it is just the hassle factor of rolling out the new databases, takes days and stops people working at the wrong times.

The database is approaching the 4gb limits so this will require soem thought, I think there is a lot of redundant data in there, the remote users need all the data, three of them are the same person working in three different countries.

The only way to have remote users access >4GB of data would be with Premium for Web ST

Thanks