Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Remote database creation never completes

Copper Contributor

Remote database creation never completes

We're running ACT Premium 2008 with a mix of desktop (server-hosted db) and laptop users (remote dbs).

Our database now comprises around 6,000 contacts and a substantial number of attachments (emails and documents).  Until recently a remote database creation took around 1.5 hours but always completed.  My latest attempt to create a remote database for a new user NEVER completes.  The activity bar cycles round showing it being busy but, after 4 hours, it still has not completed.

Possibly we create problems for ourselves by running the ACT server on a virtual server:  This is always a very slow interface and due to Policy constraints (I can't change this) the system will log you out after four hours of continuous login.  But I've always succeeded in the past in getting the rdb created.  Now, the system logs me off without the database being finished.

When I log back in back to look at the server's data drive - where the Main database and its subsidiary directories are located - I find what appears to be a folder of working files in the <main-database>-databasefiles folder.  The temp folder has a name like e5aa2675168a43d596f639a06173b81d and it contains four files - <username>.RDB (looks to be a decent size - 1.5Gb), RemoteDataManifest (1kB), plus  .ADF and  .ALF files with long temporary names.  I assume these are all temp working files as the folder is not that designated as the target for the rdb.  If I don't delete these files and folder, it will create another similar set each time I try to create the rdb from scratch.

Does anyone know what is going on?  I'd welcome comments on whether it is sensible to use a virtual server in this way but, more urgently, I need to get this rdb created successfully for the new user. 

Copper Contributor

Re: Remote database creation never completes

Have you tried creating the DB without attachments? You could always create it without attachments, then copy and paste them from a thumbdrive manually after loading the RDB...I'm not sure how this would affect synchronization.
Copper Contributor

Re: Remote database creation never completes

OK I finally got there.  I bought myself some login time by switching off the net synch service (Net Stop "Act! Network Sync Service") and the remote database completed in about three hours.  Still horrendously slow but it got there.

Are we seriously doing the wrong thing by using a virtual server to host the Main database?

Andy